Senior Software Development Engineer
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you.
Hitachi Vantara is seeking a Senior Software Development Engineer to join our global product innovation team to drive development of new products. In this role, you will be working with a diverse team of engineers and world class researchers to help build our next generation cloud portfolio. In this role, you will build new solutions to solve complex issues involving cloud data mobility. You must be capable of working independently and with a diverse team of fellow engineers and business stakeholders. The ideal candidate will have in depth knowledge of block storage devices and protocols, and cloud technologies such as GCP, AWS, or Azure as well as have exposure to low level file and block protocols.
• Focus on hands-on development and integration of a massive scale distributed data mobility solution
• Execution focused design, development, and maintenance of high-quality code
• Define solutions supporting File, Block, and Object storage
• Create systems for replication, data migration, compression, and deduplication
• Work in a collaborative team to consistently commit and deliver throughout the product development life cycle
• Expert competency in core Java with some knowledge of Swing
• Systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, etc. using Java
• Basic understanding of operating systems concepts including multi-threading, memory management, networking and storage, performance, and scale.
• Experience in working with database systems like MySQL, Oracle, etc.
• Knowledge of building API using REST using Jersey and JAX-RS
• Knowledge of writing unit test cases
• Experience with Linux servers in virtualized settings
• Knowledge of SAN management, protocol for linking SAN on Linux like iSCSI and related terminology like targets, initiators, LUNs, backstores, and iSCSI addressing
• Familiarity in Shell, and/or Python scripting
• Knowledge of CI/CD tools like Jenkins/TeamCity and Git
What you bring to the team
• Strong understanding of low-level operating systems concepts including multi-threading, memory management, networking and storage, performance, and scale
• Experience working on fault-tolerance and high availability issues, performance, and scale challenges
• Previous work and/or understanding of cloud technologies, storage, and backup
• Previous experience with cloud XaaS is a strong plus
• Experience working in an Agile development team
• Direct experience with storage hardware
• Previous experience with Hyper-converged, Ceph, Gluster, etc.
• MS/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline
• 8+ years relevant experience such as in hyper-converged, filesystems, object storage, scale-out storage, software defined storage, etc.
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to design, develop, and sustain code for products
• Must be internally driven, independent, and excited to push the limits of technology
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge
"For Colorado only (as required by the Colorado Equal Pay Act): The expected base salary for this position in our Colorado office is $100,000 - $160,000. Pay is determined based on a variety of factors including, but not limited to, depth of experience in the practice area. Employees are eligible to participate in Hitachi Vantara's variable pay program, subject to the program's conditions and restrictions."
Your application has been successfully submitted.