AppD Senior Product Designer
San Francisco, CA, USA
About The Role
You will lead the ground-up redesign of some of our core product workflows – the experiences that help our customers understand their application performance and its impact on their end users and business. You’ll also be helping us build a user-centered design practice to deliver well-crafted product designs that provide clarity, continuity and context for the IT professionals who use our product.
You’ll have a high degree of autonomy, taking ownership of design for your product area – including connecting your work to the work in other squads to create a holistic product experience. While some coordination with other offices may be needed, most day-to-day work will happen with your Design, User Research, Product, and Engineering colleagues based in our headquarters in San Francisco. This team is often stepping into new territories where design has yet to tread, developing concepts and approaches to solve for challenging technical problem spaces.
You’re a systems thinker who enjoys solving sophisticated design problems for specialist and technical users – the more complex the problem space, the more you thrive. You have a people-focused design mentality, always seeking to better understand what your users need. You’re constantly looking to refine your work and believe that the best design work is done iteratively and collaboratively. You seek early and regular input and feedback from users, customers, and your peers in design, engineering and product management. You're ready to lead design for a strategic part of a sophisticated, evolving product. You enjoy working with all the latest tools and technologies, including a robust design system. You engage in thoughtful dialog about the most impactful product experience for our users.
As a Sr. Product Designer, you will:
- Lead design projects focused on Application Performance Monitoring (APM) that let users monitor and analyze the performance of interdependent networks of applications in cloud and hybrid environments
- Work closely with the product and engineering teams to deliver on a product roadmap following agile principles
- Collaborate with the user research team to gather and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data from customers, and partner
- Drive and iteratively deliver solutions that make it easier for users to make quality decisions faster with greater confidence
- Explore and convey design solutions using a variety of design methods including concept sketches, storyboards, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes
- Lead design reviews, communicate designs to leadership and engineering, support roadmap planning, and sprint planning
- Work with other designers, researchers, product managers and engineers to deliver compelling, people-centered UX solutions
- Work with the design tech team to influence and improve the AppDynamics design system
- Mentor junior designers and help the broader team level up its agile product design practices
Experience that will help you succeed in this role:
- History of crafting effective user-centered product experiences of moderate to high complexity, particularly for technical or expert users. (Typically our senior designers have 6+ years of experience, but this isn’t a rigid requirement.)
- Designing SaaS, B2B software (bonus: developer or IT tools)
- Leading design as part of a cross-functional product team
- Participating in user research, with an ability to synthesize, understand users’ needs, motivations and behaviors and translate them into actionable deliverables
- Learning a new technical problem space
- Presenting design concepts to a wide variety of audiences (such as functional and executive leadership, business, product, engineering, sales, and product support)
- Bonus: A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design or HCI
- Bonus: HTML/CSS/JS development, motion design, and/or advanced prototyping skills
Your application has been successfully submitted.