Software Engineer (Co-op) - Distributed Database
About Huawei Canada
Huawei Canada helps connect Canadians to world-leading high-speed wireless Internet – and supplies them with cutting-edge smart devices. In partnership with Canadian telecommunications providers, we work to bring the benefits of a reliable and secure digital experience to every person, home and organization, including those in rural and remote areas of the country. Huawei first came to Canada in 2008. Today, the company employs more than 1,100 Canadians in research and development, IT, sales and other fields. Huawei Canada is an active supporter of many charitable and community initiatives from coast to coast.
The Distributed Data and Storage Lab is looking for talented software engineers to join the Gauss DB research and development team. Our team is focused on Database research for Gauss DB and openGauss one of the fastest growing open source database management systems in the market. We are looking for talented and motivated individuals who can join us to tackle challenging problems and develop new technologies around high performance, concurrency and distributed database management.
- Research and development of distributed, highly available share nothing transaction processing database management system focusing on algorithms for scale up and scale out
- Work with a team of architects and engineers to develop proof-of-concept systems and components across the data manager, buffer manager and transaction processing components.
- Investigate and design new data structures and algorithms focusing on lockless and NUMA aware approaches on the latest and state of the art hardware technology
- Continuous enhancements on the distributed database system to fulfill customer requirements for self-tuning under differing workload conditions.
- Mentor junior colleagues on algorithm design, data structure and software engineering aspects. Focusing on high performance scalable code.
- Work with QA and continuous integration teams to drive a quality overall solution though a combination of automated unit tests, functional testing and system testing of the solution.
- Currently enrolled in a university and registered with school’s co-op program
- Bachelor or Master major in computer science or related area
- Proficient in C and C++ programming
- Excellent documentation, organization and communication skills
- Self-motivated learner; strong desire to learn on the job
- Must be a team player.
- Experience with design and development of a distributed database, or storage system, or file system, or cache system
- Experience in Microsoft SQL Azure/Aws RDS Aurora/Oracle RAC/IBM Db2 pureScale
- Experience in open source community.
Huawei Canada is committed to providing valuable co-op opportunities to both undergraduate and graduate students. Working with us provides you the opportunities to network with the world leading professionals, to integrate theoretical knowledge with practical skills, and most importantly, to experience the cutting-edge technology before everyone else. We have internships throughout the year for you to choose from, co-op work term (4, 8, 12, 16 months) may begin in September, January, and May. Join us and together we will pave the way towards a better connected world.
*This intake will onboard January 2023*
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Welcome to the official Huawei Twitter account. Huawei is a leading global provider of ICT infrastructure and smart devices.