Autopilot Backend Telemetry Software Engineering Internship
What to Expect
Disclaimer: This position is expected to start around January or February 2023 and continue through the entire Spring term (i.e. through April/May) or into early Summer 2023 if available. We ask for a minimum of 12 weeks, full-time, for all Autopilot internships. Please consider before submitting an application.
International Students: If your work authorization is through CPT, please consult your school before applying. You must be able to work 40 hours per week. Many students will be limited to part-time depending on their academic standing.
Internship Programs at Tesla
The Internship Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year-round program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success.
Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
- Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
Tesla’s Autonomy Telemetry team is charged with collecting and processing all the data that fuels the development of Autopilot and our Humanoid robot.
Every car on the road includes a sophisticated sensor suite and internet connectivity, and so will our robot. This allows us to gather data from our fleet of millions of vehicles around the world to feed the training of our Neural Networks, providing Tesla with a significant competitive advantage in the race to full autonomy. The Telemetry team is responsible for the full lifecycle of this data: from specifying interesting events for data collection, to efficiently recording as much relevant data as possible on our embedded autopilot computer, to processing the data in the cloud.
What You’ll Do
- Influence architectural decisions with a focus on security, scalability, reliability, and high performance.
- Choose technologies that will allow us to scale with our growing fleet of vehicles while efficiently utilizing cloud infrastructure and managing costs.
- Implement highly scalable data ingestion and processing pipeline.
- Work closely with the other Autonomy teams to design and implement backend components required for future Autonomy features and processes.
- Setup and maintain monitoring, metrics & reporting systems for fine-grained observability and actionable alerting, from car to cloud.
- Author automated tests that will allow us to continue to merge and deploy with confidence.
What You’ll Bring
- Currently pursuing a BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science, Physics, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or proof of exceptional skills in related fields or practical software engineering experience.
- Graduating and/or able to join as a full-time member within 6 months of completing their academic requirements.
- Practical experience using application layer languages like Go, Python, C++, Scala, Java. Experience with Linux, networking, storage, and virtualization automation with tools like Kubernetes, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet or similar.
- Experience with databases and search indexes like PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, ElasticSearch, Redis.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
To accelerate the advent of sustainable transport and electric technology