Staff Software Engineer - Notifications Infrastructure ( Remote US)
Twitter is what's happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We feel real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
Who We are:
The Notifications Infrastructure (NI) team is the team responsible for the Twitter infrastructure and backend services for sending notifications to our Twitter customers, such as Android, iOS and browser push notifications, Emails, and SMS messages. In addition, the NI team is also responsible for the data (system-of-record) and respective infrastructure (storage and retrieval) for Twitter customers’ contact information, including email addresses and phone numbers. Our customers are other internal teams that need access to these fundamental APIs and functions, and we care about scalability, security and privacy at scale.
NI is part of the Notifications org, which is responsible for the end-to-end systems for all Notifications that are sent through Twitter. We are responsible for 40%+ of the top-line company user growth, and are a full-stack org with infrastructure, platform, product, relevance, and client teams.
What You’ll Do:
You'll work with an awesome team of engineers, product managers, data scientists, researchers, and designers to build the fundamental infrastructure and platform that powers Discovery products. This includes:
- Architect and build services at a huge scale, but also lead and build new product initiatives on top of the platform.
- Work directly with engineers, product managers, and designers to build tools and systems that enable them to accomplish outstanding things.
- Directly impact the lives of every Twitter user.
- Own specific problems related to Notifications and be given the resources, support, and autonomy to drive solutions.
- Work and communicate in our collaborative atmosphere. Give and receive feedback to build trust and transparency. Join a team where we #LoveWhereWeWork.
Who You Are:
- You have a strong sense of ownership, and a curiosity to understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise
- You are not only comfortable with ambiguity but view it as an opening to quickly explore a multitude of options.
- You have the ability to tackle sophisticated problems, learn quickly, iterate, and persist towards a good solution.
- You have experience collaborating across multi-functional teams including analytics, product management, and operations.
- You are excited to learn from your amazing peers
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science (or a related field) with 7+ years of combined academic and relevant industry experience
- Experience with standard software engineering methodology (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation). Strong algorithms and data structures background
- Proficiency with at least one of the following languages Java, C/C++, Python, Ruby, Scala, or any functional language (we primarily use Scala)
- Experience with backend infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing
- Experience with writing tests for production software
- Experience operating production software in a UNIX/Linux environment
- Consistent track record of collaborating across multi-functional teams including analytics, product management, and operation
- Bonus: Experience building consumer products (A/B testing, solving user problems)
- Bonus: Contributions to the open-source community
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
The applicable salary range for each U.S.-based role is based on where the employee works and is aligned to one of 4 tiers according to a cost of labor index in that geographic area. Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. The expected salary ranges for this role are set forth below. These ranges may be modified in the future.
- Tier A: USD $212,000 - USD $297,000
- Tier B: USD $202,000 - USD $282,000
- Tier C: USD $191,000 - USD $267,000
- Tier D: USD $179,000 - USD $253,000
You can view which tier applies to where you plan to work here. If your location is not listed, please speak with your recruiter for additional information.
This job is also eligible for participation in Twitter’s Performance Bonus Plan and Equity Incentive Plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies.
Twitter offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, sick time, and parental leave. Twitter’s benefits prioritize employee wellness and progressive support to our diverse workforce.
Your application has been successfully submitted.