Development Manager - Technical Infrastructure
About the role
About the Role
The TI Software Development team at Shopify focuses internally to design and build software for the Employee Experience Team. These are tools and custom software which speed up many workflows within Internal Operations and accelerate our rapid pace of growth. We are building apps which interface with external and internal API’s to automate time consuming tasks. Some of our software is only able to help the internal operations team itself, while others can help the entire company.
Some of our projects
In January 2021 a security vulnerability required the rapid development of a replacement Podcast platform. Our team evaluated commercial alternatives and designed a secure, in-house Podcast hosting platform which was backwards compatible with our previous design. The Podcasts app currently hosts 30 internal podcasts spanning 400 episodes with thousands of internal subscribers, with many new features on the way.
Our team is involved in the design, planning and building of software which automates and plans our new office networks. This app is a React front-end which interacts with a Rails back-end that handles network automation logic. It dramatically reduces the time involved in configuring network builds for new Shopify office floors by automatically building network rack configurations, and it will eventually deploy configurations directly.
The team also works on many smaller projects, such as the landing page for our weekly company wide video live streams, and small applications that run off-site activities at Shopify offices.
- Strong technical experience with technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) Ruby on Rails, Node.js, React, GraphQL.
- Able to mentor and supply feedback during code reviews.
- Grows individuals and the team size to adjust to the changing needs of Shopify
- Strong technical fundamental understanding and the ability to synthesize this knowledge to unblock and coach the team
- Works with multiple teams to solve problems across the service line.
It would be great if you had experience with:
- Deploying, maintaining and monitoring applications on services like GCP and AWS
- Configuring network appliances and an understanding of how corporate networks function
- Mentoring teammates on new technical skills
You will be working on:
- Helping individual contributors Get Shit Done and diplomatically engage with different viewpoints
- Leads performance and impact assessments to ensure high quality and identify problems quickly
- Learning and upgrading your skills continuously
- Providing beautiful and fast code that improves our code base in meaningful ways
- Balancing the team’s time across multiple high-impact projects
- Delivering a significant portion of your impact via individual contributors on the team.
We know applying for a job takes time and effort, and we appreciate the work you put into your submission!
Closing Date: Wednesday, June 15, 2022 @ 12:00 am EST
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.