Mobile Application Software Engineer
Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.Job Area:
Engineering Group, Engineering Group > Software Engineering
Join a team that develops and supports mobile applications. We collaborate with other Qualcomm teams, sometimes building software tied to particular capabilities of the Qualcomm Snapdragon platform. We also develop and support our DirectOffice document conversion application.
Tasks at different times, to include some or all of:
- Develop, create, and modify software applications on Android, iOS, and other platforms
- Working with team leads, define application use cases, storyboards, etc.
- Help define interfaces to existing or new databases and system libraries
- Define and package portions of applications as native libraries
- Learn about underlying Qualcomm hardware capabilities, sometimes using these to tune or add value to applications
- Update software for general releases, including adapting to changes in tools
- Support sales, prospects, and customers
- Analyze and repairs support issues
- Coordinate with remote groups within Qualcomm when working on projects that span organizations
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field and 2+ years of Software Engineering or related work experience.
Master's degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field and 1+ years of Software Engineering or related work experience.
PhD in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related field.
• 2+ years of experience with Programming Language such as C, C++, Java, Python, etc.Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience programming in Python, Java, Kotlin, Objective C, or Swift
- Experience with XML, JSON, or other data description formats
- Hands on experience with Android Studio and/or Apple Xcode
- Experience building native libraries on Android or iOS, including support layers for application development
- Experience negotiating APIs and other design decisions with remote teams
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Completes assigned coding tasks to specifications on time without significant errors or bugs.
• Adapts to changes and setbacks in order to manage pressure and meet deadlines.
• Collaborates with others inside project team to accomplish project objectives.
• Communicates with project lead to provide status and information about impending obstacles.
• Quickly resolves complex software issues and bugs.
• Gathers, integrates, and interprets information specific to a module or sub-block of code from a variety of sources in order to troubleshoot issues and find solutions.
• Seeks others' opinions and shares own opinions with others about ways in which a problem can be addressed differently.
• Participates in technical conversations with tech leads/managers.
• Anticipates and communicates issues with project team to maintain open communication.
• Makes decisions based on incomplete or changing specifications and obtains adequate resources needed to complete assigned tasks.
• Prioritizes project deadlines and deliverables with minimal supervision.
• Resolves straightforward technical issues and escalates more complex technical issues to an appropriate party (e.g., project lead, colleagues).
• Writes readable code for large features or significant bug fixes to support collaboration with other engineers.
• Determines which work tasks are most important for self and junior engineers, stays focused, and deals with setbacks in a timely manner.
• Unit tests own code to verify the stability and functionality of a feature.
Level of Responsibility:
• Working under some supervision.
• Making decisions that are moderate in impact; errors may have relatively minor financial impact or effect on projects, operations, or customer relationships; errors may require involvement beyond immediate work group to correct.
• Using verbal and written communication skills to convey information that may be somewhat complex to others who may have limited knowledge of the subject in question. May require basic negotiation and influence, cooperation, tact, and diplomacy, etc.
• Having a moderate amount of influence over key organizational decisions (e.g., is consulted by senior leadership to provide input on key decisions).
• Completing tasks with multiple steps that can be performed in various orders; some planning and prioritization must occur to complete the tasks effectively; mistakes may result in some rework.
• Exercising creativity to draft original documents, imagery, or work products within established guidelines.
• Using deductive and inductive problem solving; multiple approaches may be taken/necessary to solve the problem; often information is missing or incomplete; intermediate data analysis/interpretation skills may be required.
• May be solicited during strategic planning period.
The responsibilities of this role do not include:
• Financial accountability (e.g., does not involve budgeting responsibility).
Qualcomm is committed to hiring and supporting individuals with disabilities. Although this role has some expected physical activity, an inability to perform one or more of the listed physical requirements should not deter otherwise qualified applicants from applying. We will work with you throughout the application and onboarding process to provide reasonable accommodations. Examples of expected physical activity include: frequently transporting between offices, buildings, and campuses up to ½ mile; frequently transporting and installing equipment up to 5 lbs; performing tasks at various heights (e.g., standing or sitting); monitoring and utilizing computers and test equipment for more than 6 hours a day; and continuous communication which includes the comprehension of information with colleagues, customers, and vendors both in person and remotely.
Although this role has some expected minor physical activity, this should not deter otherwise qualified applicants from applying. If you are an individual with a physical or mental disability and need an accommodation during the application/hiring process, please call Qualcomm’s toll-free number found here for assistance. Qualcomm will provide reasonable accommodations, upon request, to support individuals with disabilities as part of our ongoing efforts to create an accessible workplace.
Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Qualcomm. Staffing and recruiting agencies and individuals being represented by an agency are not authorized to use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes, and any such submissions will be considered unsolicited. Qualcomm does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Qualcomm employees or any other company location. Qualcomm is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
EEO Employer: Qualcomm is an equal opportunity employer; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or any other protected classification.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Enabling a world where everyone and everything can be intelligently connected.