Senior Ruby on Rails Developer - Scout
Toronto, ON, Canada
Join our team and experience Workday!
It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing. At Workday, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we're serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
Scout, now a Workday Company, is looking to add a Senior Software Engineer to help us keep shipping features to customers who love our products.
Day-to-day, they’ll be responsible for taking high-fidelity prototypes and transforming them into fully functional features with a solid and secure GraphQL backend, modular front-end components, and automated tests. High-quality code and the ability to deliver milestones all the way to production are our key metrics for success.
You’re probably keen to hear about our tech stack:
- Our application is built on Ruby on Rails.
- We take full advantage of Postgres with a trigger-based time machine, SQL views, and a willingness to drop from ActiveRecord to raw SQL when it makes sense.
- AWS is our product’s home.
- We’re really enjoying React and Redux with ES6 and SCSS.
- Sidekiq, Redis, ElasticSearch and websockets definitely play their parts.
And curious about our engineering workflow:
- Each month we agree to milestones to deliver by the end of the month.
- We release to production once a week.
- Jira and Slack help us coordinate across continents and time zones.
- GitHub helps us improve each other's code, and our well-tuned linter keeps reviews quick on style and heavy on substance.
- Our QA team works hard to catch issues, bugs, and cross-browser glitches before we merge a pull request into the mainline, and again before release in the weekly smoke test.
- Gitlab CI gives us the power to continually improve our automated testing infrastructure.
- Minimum 5+ years software development experience
- Minimum 2+ years RoR experience
- Proposes the pragmatic solution to painful problems
- Finds opportunities to teach others
- Loves to hear about the value our work delivers to our customers
- Kindly and consistently pushes the team forward, but knows how to pick their battles
Nice To Have:
- Experience (or interest in) data engineering, API design or integrations
- Experience (or interest in) event-driven architectures
- Experience with Postgres and writing well tuned queries
- Experience with Elixir or Phoenix
You’re responsible, skilled, helpful, and kind. You recognize your team relies on you, but you know when to stop working and value the smart solution over the hard one.
Your application has been successfully submitted.