Staff Software Developer, Local Storage
Waterloo, ON, Canada
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of software development experience, or 8 years with a relevant advanced degree.
- Experience in technical leadership, leading project teams, or setting technical direction.
- Software development experience in C/C++ with storage.
- Experience in performance optimization and system tracing.
- Software development experience with Rust.
- Experience in data storage and management, such as on-disk format definition, transactions, and solving data read/write concurrency problems.
- Experience working with large platform code base.
- Software development experience in embedded or mobile.
- Experience working with components at system or kernel level, such as Android, Chrome, Linux/Unix, QNX, or Windows.
About the job
The Local Storage team is responsible for building up the storage software stack, starting from flash management to partitioning, block device interfaces, filesystems, and application-level abstraction of file systems.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Own a large codebase by constantly monitoring its quality and performance and provide individual contributions (design and implementations) in key areas.
- Review design proposals and lead the analyses of potential solutions.
- Plan for new ways to improve the stability of the existing codebase and increase the discoverability of future problems.
- Plan improvements of existing solutions by taking into account requirements for stability and current tolerance for risks, based on the upcoming product launch schedule.
- Establish and socialize the roadmap of the storage stack through cross-functional communication and coordination with other technical teams.
Your application has been successfully submitted.