Software Developer Intern, Systems and Infrastructure, PhD, 2021
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Please complete your application before February 26th, 2021.
Participation in the internship program requires that you are located in Canada for the duration of the internship program.
This internship is intended for students who are currently pursuing a PhD degree program in Computer Science or a related field with an anticipated graduation date on or after December 2021, depending on their program and unique circumstances.
To start the application process, you will need an updated CV or resume and a current unofficial or official transcript in English. Click on the “Apply” button on this page and provide the required materials in the appropriate sections (PDFs preferred):
- 1. In the “Resume Section:” attach an updated CV or resume.
- 2. In the “Education Section:” attach a current or recent unofficial or official transcript in English.
- Under “Degree Status,” select “Now attending” to upload a transcript.
Note: By applying to this position your application is automatically submitted to the following locations: Waterloo, ON, Canada; Montreal, QC, Canada
- Currently pursuing a PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Information Technology, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in one or more of the following: architecting and/or developing large scale distributed systems, concurrency, multithreading or synchronization.
- Experience with networked systems, database language theories, database design, SQL and database programming
- Experience with a large scale systems design in Unix/Linux.
- Understanding of technologies such as virtualization and global infrastructure, load balancing, networking, massive data storage, Hadoop, MapReduce and security.
- Interest in or exposure to networking technologies/concepts such as TCP/IP, Network Programming, Software Defined Networking (SDN) and OpenFlow.
- Examples of coding in a commonly-used systems-programming language including but not limited to: C, C++, Java, Python.
About the job
Join us for a unique 12-14 week paid internship that offers personal and professional development, an executive speaker series, and community-building. The Software Developer Internship program will give you an opportunity to work on complex computer science solutions, develop scalable, distributed software systems, and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal.
Google's Software Developers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for developers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including distributed computing, performance measurement and analysis, operating systems, large-scale system design, networking, storage systems, security, compilers, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As an intern you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs as our fast-paced business grows and evolves. We need our developers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across a wide range of technologies.
- Write server-side code for web-based applications.
- Develop prototypes quickly and create robust high-volume production applications.
- Develop for specialist domains: client application development for Windows/Mac (Chrome, Toolbar, etc.), embedded systems and mobile apps (Android), developer tools (IDEs, large-scale build systems, compilers), infrastructure, internationalization, networking, and more.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Our mission is to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful