Data Governance Specialist
Toronto, ON, Canada
Ready to create innovative solutions and best practices?
Join our team
The TELUS Data & Trust Office provides world-class, innovative privacy solutions to TELUS. We partner with teams across the organization to advance our corporate priorities, support innovation and ultimately deliver on our promise to safeguard our customer’s privacy and to earn and maintain their trust. We see compliance with the law as our starting point and we passionately pursue opportunities to demonstrate respect for our customers and their data through transparent, robust, and ethical data practices.
Our team takes pride in earning a reputation for being innovative thought-leaders, strategic business partners and subject-matter experts in privacy and data governance.
TELUS recognizes the great potential of data to meet business needs in our world today, consistent with our position on social capitalism. Data governance supports TELUS’ commitment to respectfully treat data in a manner that fosters innovation and at the same time mitigates the array of privacy, security and ethical risks. We earn our stakeholders trust- across the business and with our customers- using the data governance principles of accountability, ethical use and transparency to deliver value from data, in accordance with the TELUS Trust model.
Here’s the impact you’ll make and what we’ll accomplish together
As the Data Governance Specialist, reporting to the Director of Data Ethics & Governance, you will materially influence the ongoing development and roll-out of TELUS’ data governance program. You will work with a cross-functional group focused on enabling the growth of the business through responsible use of data. At the same time, you will be an integral member of the Data Ethics & Governance team. This team is tasked with solving some of our organization's most complex challenges while building a thriving community of practice around data ethics and data governance.
You will be a champion for data governance across the organization and you will advocate for TELUS’ Trust Model as the fundamental driver for all of our decisions around data, recognizing how critical customer and team member trust is to TELUS’ mission. Your contributions to the data governance program will be an integral part of our commitment to leverage data in a respectful manner and our thought-leadership on anticipating challenges at the intersection of privacy, ethics, technology and data.
- Support the design and implementation of a data governance program that helps TELUS organize and understand data to exceed stakeholder expectations while simultaneously ensuring TELUS’ ability to respectfully leverage data assets to deliver value
- Contribute to the strategic direction for the evolution of data governance at TELUS, designing and operating policies and processes for data enablement by the business using an agile development methodology
- Enhance data literacy across TELUS, providing education and support to the data user community and network of Data Stewards on data governance and responsible innovation topics to provide strategies for establishing reliable and accurate data outcomes
- Guide business units on data governance concepts to responsibly execute on cutting-edge data strategies, navigating the complex landscape of big data and AI by advocating for accountability, ethical use and transparency in all initiatives
- Collaborate with Data Strategy & Enablement teams to oversee and ensure adherence to the TELUS Trust Model and data governance policies in the technical design, architecture and development of the TELUS’ Data Governance Centre, tools and technologies
- Establish best practices for data governance, taxonomy and develop policies in alignment with business and technology data strategy
- Support implementation of TELUS commitments to responsible AI and strategy for model governance
- Evaluate and report on the performance of the data governance program defining and establishing success metrics
- Contribute to industry working groups and provide thought leadership on standards for data governance and responsible innovation
- Learn continuously, innovate every day and seek opportunities to develop and demonstrate thought-leadership
You're the missing piece of the puzzle
- Experienced in implementing data governance practices and best-in-class principles for data management.
- Valued for your knowledge and expertise in data governance technology, business process modeling, metadata and enterprise implementation of data governance tools and solutions
- Recognized for your leadership capabilities to collaborate and accomplish goals with others including experience partnering with multiple stakeholders across an organization, including lines of business, information technology, architecture and operations
- Able to identify and proactively consider opportunities outside of conventional thinking to resolve problems and address gaps
- Demonstrated track record of defining and delivering measurable outcomes for customers and the business in a highly complex stakeholder environment
- Effective in written communication and verbally communicating progress on initiatives in leadership forums
- Trusted as a collaborative partner who will act with integrity to fulfill TELUS’ commitments to its customers
- Recognized for your excellent interpersonal skills to build and foster relationships across all levels of the organization
- Known for your ability to influence and negotiate effectively, to be a persuasive advocate
- Sought after for your excellent and problem solving skills and your ability to distill complex and/or ambiguous problems into clear, actionable requirements
- Highly adaptable, and comfortable working in a demanding and fast-paced environment
- Experienced with a number of technology platforms and applications, including cloud, data analytics and AI
- University degree and/or 5 - 7 years of equivalent experience in computer science and working experience in Information Management industry
- Demonstrable knowledge and application of the DAMA International Body of Knowledge
- Have obtained certifications such as ITIL, DGSP, CIMP, CDMP from bodies such as ICCP Institute for Certification of Computing Professionals, DAMA Data Management Association
- Collibra University Certification is preferred or willingness and ability to become certified in the next six months
- Bilingualism in English & French, verbal and/or written
- Project management experience
- Experience working in a large, matrixed organization
Who is TELUS?
We're a high-performing team of individuals who collectively make TELUS one of the leading telecommunications companies in Canada. Our competitive consumer offerings include wireline, wireless, internet and Optik TV™. We also deliver a compelling range of products and services for small, medium and large businesses; and have carved out a leadership position in the health, energy, finance and public sector markets with innovative industry specific solutions.
Everyone belongs at TELUS. It doesn’t matter who you are, what you do or how you do it, at TELUS, your unique contribution and talents will be valued and respected. Because the more diverse perspectives we have the more likely we are to crack the code on what our customers want and our communities need.
Do you share our passion?
At TELUS, you create future friendly® possibilities.
At TELUS, we are committed to diversity and equitable access to employment opportunities based on ability.
Primary Location: CA-ON-Toronto
Other Locations: CA-AB-Calgary, CA-BC-Vancouver, CA-AB-Edmonton, CA-ON-Ottawa
Your application has been successfully submitted.