Senior Backend Engineer, Blockchain
United States Remote
“The front page of the internet," Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Internet is the most important public square in history. It shapes economies and elections, relationships and futures. Yet it is controlled by a handful of powerful platforms, who shape the Internet to their own advantage.
The Crypto team at Reddit is exploring a different future. We believe the Internet was meant to be a frontier - a land of possibility, freedom and creativity. We want to tear down the walled gardens and restore the balance of power online, by creating a free and open Internet that puts power back in the hands of people.
Our goal is to create a world of independent, self-sovereign communities that are controlled and run by their members, not by platforms. We have built Community Points, a blockchain-based product that gives people ownership over their communities. We are looking for your help to expand it and scale it to millions of people.
Reddit is uniquely suited among social networks to embrace this ambitious vision. Even as it has grown to over 430 million users and tens of thousands of communities, Reddit has remained a place where users have a larger voice and more control than other places.
We are hiring a Senior Backend Engineer to help us solve blockchain scaling, build a more decentralized Internet, and lead the way to a future where the people and communities who hold up the Internet can finally be free again.
It is not easy to change the Internet. It takes a world-class team with world-class talent. The right person for this is not just a great engineer – you must make miracles happen.
- Take full responsibility. Our job doesn’t stop at the code. We do it all – from talking to users to deciding long-term strategy – and we expect you to do it too.
- Don’t wait for work. We are a small team with a lot to accomplish. It’s your job to figure out how to be most effective and valuable.
- Bias towards action. We measure ourselves by what we ship. Talk doesn’t change things, action does.
- Failure is not an option. We think of problems before they happen and solve them ahead of time.
- Work independently. We rely on each other, and we trust you will do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Build blockchain products and infrastructure for millions of users
- Solve blockchain scaling at Reddit-scale, including designing and implementing layer-2 solutions
- Develop smart contracts and integrate them with Reddit services
- Contribute meaningfully to team strategy
- Communicate across the organization and work effectively throughout the Reddit stack
- You have built backend services for large-scale distributed systems (ideally 5+ years experience). We work primarily in Go, with some Python, and our stack runs on Kubernetes, GRPC, and Postgres.
- You have made blockchain apps, preferably with Ethereum and Solidity.
- You have experience deploying critical blockchain infrastructure into production.
- You have a deep understanding of decentralized technologies and the entire web stack.
- You have exceptional communication skills. We are a mostly remote team and depend on clear communication to function.
- You are incredibly competent and do not require hand-holding. Experience leading a startup or a major project is a big plus. We are looking for people who can contribute from day 0.
Your application has been successfully submitted.