Application Security Engineer
This job is no longer accepting applications.
"The front page of the internet,” Reddit brings over 430 million people together each month through their common interests, inviting them to share, vote, comment, and create across thousands of communities. Come for the cats, stay for the empathy.
The Reddit Security team is rapidly developing, and this is an opportunity to get in and have an outsized impact on a highly skilled and motivated team. We look for humble experts with a relentlessly resourceful and entrepreneurial, “can do” view of security. We want to deliver facts and not FUD to the business to enable Reddit to manage risk more effectively. Culture is important to us and a learning and developing mentality is vital regardless of the work assigned.
If you like breaking software, finding root cause and connecting with teams so it can be fixed at scale, we need you. The ideal candidate will work tirelessly to uncover security issues before the bad guys do and will work with developers to shift security to the left in the SDLC.
This role is responsible for assessing and assuring the integrity of Reddit’s applications for millions of users. We partner with product and engineering throughout the software development life-cycle to ensure applications are designed and built securely. If you evangelize security and love to train developers to build better, more secure software, this position is for you.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Author security training for development teams
- Audit our web applications and infrastructure to determine compliance with industry standards, best practices, and partner requirements
- Provide security guidelines for the organization to protect critical assets and data
- Review, analyze, and evaluate both internally developed software and vendor products and procedures to address security requirements
- Collaborate with independent researchers and developers to triage and patch security vulnerabilities in our applications
- Work with DevOps engineers to integrate static and dynamic analysis security tools into CI/CD pipelines
- Evangelize Reddit’s security initiatives and tooling outside of Reddit, make the security community better
- 2+ years of experience in the application security field
- Familiarity with common security libraries, controls, and flaws present in modern web frameworks and web browsers
- Ability to communicate effectively with business representatives in explaining security topics clearly and where necessary, in layman's terms
- Candidates must be able to explain vulnerabilities and weaknesses in the OWASP Top 10, WASC, and/or CWE 25 to any audience, and discuss effective defensive techniques
- Understanding of HTTP and SSL/TLS protocols, and web applications
- Understanding of authentication protocols and frameworks to include OAuth, OpenID, SSO/SAML
- Familiarity with dynamic and static analysis tools
- Ability to interpret dynamic/static analysis reports, penetration test results, and bug bounty reports, describe issues and fixes to non-security experts, and communicate professionally with independent researchers
- Familiarity with common reconnaissance, exploitation, and post exploitation frameworks
- Experience with common security compliance initiatives such as SOC2, CSA, ISO27001
- Humble expert with a sense of urgency
- Skilled at taking complex topics and making them simple
- Comfortable explaining and justifying difficult decisions to any audience
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Reddit is home to thousands of communities, endless conversation, and authentic human connection.