Applied Scientist, Relevance Personalization - Intern - Remote Role
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the team
The mission of Zillow Group’s Relevance Personalization team is to help customers discover their next home through relevant & delightful product experiences and messaging. We power those customer experiences through a deep understanding of our customers, the homes they love, and machine learning.
Our team powers a variety of major personalized customer touchpoints such as personalized search ranking, similar homes recommendations, or email and push notification messaging on both Zillow and Trulia brands.
In the past several years our team has been growing its impact on Zillow’s business, and we are looking to proliferate personalization into new product areas and business domains. Our internal businesses partners include the Premier Agent business helping buyers find the right home, the Zillow Offers business making it easy for sellers to move to the next home more seamlessly, and New Construction.
About the role
Zillow is actively seeking an outstanding research intern who is studying computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, econometrics, or a related scientific subject area involving mathematical modeling to join our team for the summer of 2021. Machine Learning has huge impacts across virtually all of Zillow’s business lines, and as an embedded member of one of these teams, you will have the opportunity to apply groundbreaking research techniques to high-stakes business problems. You will conduct this research in a collaborative environment where you will have the chance to get frequent feedback on your ideas and provide insight into the work of other teammates.
As an intern, you will have the opportunity to:
- Collaborate with other Applied Scientists and Software Developers to conduct cutting-edge applied research
- Find insights in diverse datasets and use those signals by applying and developing state of the art machine learning and statistical techniques.
- Work closely with Software Developers to learn how to productionalize and ship those models.
The following recently published blog posts provide examples of our team’s work:
- Utilizing both Explicit & Implicit Signals to Power Home Recommendations
- Predicting Sparse Down-Funnel Events in Home Shopping with Transfer and Multi-target Learning
- Topic Modeling for Real Estate Listing Descriptions
- Home Embeddings for Similar Home Recommendations
This role has been categorized as a Remote position. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. Employees may live in any of the 50 US States, with limited exceptions. In certain cases, an employee in a remote-designated job may need to live in a specific region or time zone to support customers or clients as part of their role.
Who you are
- In the process of completing a Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, or a related scientific subject area involving mathematical modeling (preferred) with a graduation date between Dec 2021 and Summer 2022
- Experienced working in Python to conduct detailed data analysis, visualization, and modeling
- Excited to look for insights in data and conduct feature engineering to and to use those signals in new ML and statistical models
- Proficient at using algorithms for supervised or unsupervised learning with an interest in contributing to and extending open source libraries
- Able to conduct research, assimilate state-of-the-art methods from research papers, and turn product requirements into algorithmic solutions.
- Able to clearly present and communicate research to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Able to work on a team in a collaborative environment to tackle ambitious machine learning problems
- Develop new techniques, contribute to writing papers and or blog posts to show off your novel work, giving back to the larger Machine Learning community.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Get to know us
Zillow Group, the largest portfolio of real estate brands on mobile and the web, is building a safe, on-demand real estate experience. Whether selling, buying, renting or financing, customers can turn to Zillow's businesses to find and get into their next home with speed, certainty and ease.
We are on a mission to help people unlock their next chapter and are building transformational tools and services that create an on-demand real estate transaction experience. Millions of people visit Zillow Group sites every month to start their home search, and now they can rely on Zillow to help them finish it — and no matter what job you're in, you will play a critical role in making this vision a reality.
At Zillow Group, we're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don't just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equity Index, Fortune Best Workplaces for Technology, Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials, Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents, Fatherly's Best Workplaces for New Dads, JUST Capital 100 Company, and the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Reimagine the way home.