Applied Scientist – Zillow Offers Machine Learning - Intern - Remote Position
United States Remote
About the team
Zillow Offers is on a mission to dramatically improve the experience of selling a home. Through Zillow Offers, home-sellers have the option of selling their homes to Zillow directly, and we will then resell their home as a service. This gives sellers the confidence to sell their home when they want and have the confidence of knowing what Zillow will pay them. This allows them to focus on the exciting part of moving: finding their next home! As you can imagine, an extraordinary deal of machine learning is needed to support this business, from predicting most accurately what we can offer on a home, to recommending what renovations we should make to a home we purchase, to deciding how to list a home to both sell quickly and sell for the highest amount. These are just a few of the problems we work on every day!
About the role
Zillow is actively seeking outstanding research interns to join our Zillow Offers Machine Learning team at Zillow for the summer of 2021. Machine Learning has huge impacts across virtually all of Zillow’s business lines, and as an embedded member of the team you will have the opportunity to apply groundbreaking research techniques to high-stakes business problems. We will conduct this research in a team environment where we provide frequent feedback on your ideas and provide insight on the work of other teammates.
During your internship, we will:
- Collaborate with other Applied Scientists and Machine Learning Engineers to conduct ground breaking applied research
- Find insights in diverse datasets and use those signals by applying and developing state of the art machine learning and statistical techniques.
- Work closely with machine learning engineers to learn how to productionalize and ship those models.
- Develop new techniques, contribute to writing papers and or blog posts to show off your novel work, giving back to the larger Machine Learning community.
This role has been categorized as a Remote position. “Remote” employees do not have a permanent corporate office workplace and, instead, work from a physical location of their choice which must be identified to the Company. Employees may live in any of the 50 US States, with limited exceptions. In certain cases, an employee in a remote-designated job may need to live in a specific region or time zone to support customers or clients as part of their role.
Who you are
You are in the process of completing a Master’s or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, or a related scientific subject area involving mathematical modeling (preferred) with a graduation date between Dec 2021 and Summer 2022.
- Experienced working in at least one of Python or R to conduct detailed data analysis, visualization, and modeling
- Experienced working with deep neural networks
- Motivated to look for insights in data and conduct feature engineering and to use those signals in new ML and statistical models
- Proficient at using algorithms for supervised or unsupervised learning with an interest in contributing to and extending open source libraries
- Able to draw from past experience applying machine learning to big data
- Able to conduct research, assimilate state-of-the-art methods from research papers, and turn product requirements into algorithmic solutions.
- Able to clearly present and communicate research to both technical and non-technical audiences
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Get to know us
Zillow Group, the largest portfolio of real estate brands on mobile and the web, is building a safe, on-demand real estate experience. Whether selling, buying, renting or financing, customers can turn to Zillow's businesses to find and get into their next home with speed, certainty and ease.
We are on a mission to help people unlock their next chapter and are building transformational tools and services that create an on-demand real estate transaction experience. Millions of people visit Zillow Group sites every month to start their home search, and now they can rely on Zillow to help them finish it — and no matter what job you're in, you will play a critical role in making this vision a reality.
At Zillow Group, we're powered by our inclusive work culture, where everyone has the support and resources to do the best work of their careers. Our efforts to streamline the real estate transaction is supported by our passion to empower people and enrich lives around everything home, a deep-rooted culture of innovation, a fundamental commitment to Equity and Belonging, and world-class benefits. But, don't just take our word for it. Read our reviews on Glassdoor and recent recognition from multiple organizations, including: Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Corporate Equity Index, Fortune Best Workplaces for Technology, Fortune Best Workplaces for Millennials, Fortune Best Workplaces for Parents, Fatherly's Best Workplaces for New Dads, JUST Capital 100 Company, and the Bloomberg Gender Equality Index constituent.
Zillow Group is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Your application has been successfully submitted.