Traffic Systems Engineer - Data Center (Remote - Global)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the role:
GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Traffic Engineering team within our larger Data Center Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. You will help maintain our edge and internal traffic and service load balancers, design and implement DDoS mitigation systems, and help improve end user performance through expanding our global network.
The Data Center Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Design and implement global traffic management and DDoS mitigation systems with stringent availability requirements.
- Build and maintain critical network systems spanning thousands of nodes across multiple regions to support GitHub’s global infrastructure.
- Cultivate open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Work closely with networking and facilities teams to design and support our global data center presence.
- Experience building and managing large clusters of Linux servers with configuration management and infrastructure as code, such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt and Terraform.
- Standard web protocols and systems should be second nature to you, such as TCP, HTTP, TLS, DNS, CDNs, load balancers.
- Proficiency in high-level languages such as Ruby, Python and Bash.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving performance problems at the intersection of software and hardware.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Familiarity with systems languages such as C/C++ or Go.
- Experience with network technologies such as BGP, or work with network configuration on Arista EOS and/or Juniper Junos.
- Experience operating services in physical data centers and the public cloud, or multiple public clouds.
- Experience at a large content provider or content delivery network.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
How people build software.