Sr. Systems Software Engineer
Vancouver, BC, Canada Remote
Who We Are
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineering team at Cisco drives the technology that's transforming the way IT departments secure their networks, and more importantly, their users. As an infrastructure engineer, you will be a key member of the Compute Virtualization team, which is responsible for the design, development, and operation of the platform engineering relies upon to deliver solutions to our customers. This is a small team that does big things. At its core, the Compute platform provides Infrastructure as a Service for engineering in dozens of our “edge” data centers.
Who You'll Work With
The experience of members of the Compute team cuts across all layers of the stack. We are a team that is supportive of learning and experimentation. Our customers are engineers in the organization, who we value above all else. We pride ourselves in seeing them succeed by leveraging our platform. We work closely with the rest of the Infrastructure Engineering teams to build core Internet infrastructure, security applications and distributed systems at scale.
As a member of this team, you will collaborate with engineers to develop solutions to extend and enhance the services offered by the platform. You will work through the entire lifecycle of a feature from its conception to development to operation.
Some of the things you will work on
- Design, build and operate highly available, distributed compute services used by engineering
- Collaborate with software and infrastructure engineering teams to design solutions to enable them
- Learn the ins and outs of supporting a cloud platform running 24x7 production services
- Deploy applications worldwide
- Fine-tune configuration and improve the performance of a variety of systems alongside with your team members
- Improve the continuous integration and deployment pipelines
The team could be a good fit for you if several of these apply to you
- Enjoy troubleshooting systems and applications through the entire stack
- Have built and operated highly-available distributed systems
- Are interested in building solid applications in a variety of languages (Golang, Python…)
- Experience with Linux system tuning and networking
- Know your way around a unix terminal
- Have built or deployed applications using cloud technologies (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure…)
- Love learning and sharing knowledge
- Are passionate about building solutions with security in mind
- Like working collaboratively with a team and making friends in the process
- Please include a cover letter with a resume submission
Our interview process
One of the aspects of job searching that’s always nerve wrecking is the interview process. To help reduce that stress, our process is fairly straightforward and we aim to be as transparent as possible with it. The process is as follows:
- 30 minute call with the hiring manager
- 4 hours of interviews with the team
- 1 awesome collaborative technical exercise
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us!
Your application has been successfully submitted.