Software Engineer - Developer Experience
United States Remote
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
We’re building an inclusive workplace that represents the real, everyday people we support around the world. From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
Why We Need You
PagerDuty is the incident resolution service that integrates with ITOps and DevOps monitoring stacks to improve operational reliability and agility. Companies including Twitter, Lyft, Airbnb, and Google, among many others, trust and rely on PagerDuty to help achieve this.
We are looking for a Software Engineer to help us continue innovating our product offering. We will achieve this mission by using the latest and the greatest tools and languages to deliver premier experiences on all of our platforms (webapp, APIs, mobile apps, and notifications).
This Software Engineer will be joining our Developer Experience team where we support and build APIs, Webhooks, and all other sorts of external developer tools. The team mostly works as a backend team with some frontend work and extensively works with other PagerDuty Engineering teams to help build amazing developer interfaces.
How You Contribute to Our Vision: Key Responsibilities
- We don’t hire based on experience with a handful of tools - experience with our stack is just a bonus. Instead, we want smart, capable people who can learn our tools quickly (and suggest new ones!) as needed. Some of the technologies that have been introduced by our great engineers include: Elixir, Ember.js, Kafka, MySQL, React.js, Scala, Kafka.
- You will work with a wide range of systems, processes, and technologies to build features and solve customer problems.
- You will build and ship new customer-facing features, working directly with a product manager, customer support team, and a team of engineers.
- You will collaborate with other teams (such as product, UX, and other engineering teams) to deliver the highest quality experience on all platforms.
- You will provide code reviews for your fellow team members.
- You, along with your team members, will own and maintain the production systems that you build over the long term, be on-call for production issues, and steer the future direction of the components.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging and addressing production issues as they arise.
About You: Skills and Attributes
- Familiarity developing customer-facing and web-based systems
- You have knowledge of at least one modern web programming framework: Ruby on Rails, Sinatra, Phoenix, Flask, Django or similar
- You have worked with REST-based APIs
- You are confidently self-motivated
- You are empathetic - you take other opinions into account and clearly communicate your thoughts in order to reach technical solutions quickly
- You have 3+ years of development experience working on customer-facing and web-based systems.
- You have experience designing, building, and operating large systems with scalability, availability, and performance requirements.
- You have experience working in an agile environment with iterative development and fast feedback.
- You have at least one web programming framework (e.g. Phoenix/Elixir, Ruby on Rails).
- You have experience with tools that ensure your high-quality work makes a smooth, automated, repeatable transition from your machine to our staging and production environments.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
- Generous parental leave
- Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Opportunities to get involved in PagerDuty's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and other diversity initiatives. ERGs are self-organized, employee-run communities focused on advancing a sense of belonging and inclusion for all - members, advocates, and allies.
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.