Senior Engineering Manager - Event Intelligence (Remote - US/Canada)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values - Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself - serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
We’re building an inclusive workplace that represents the real, everyday people we support around the world. From how we build our teams to who sits in the boardroom, we hope you can see yourself at PagerDuty.
Why We Need You
At PagerDuty, we are building an incident management solution to help companies triage, fix, notify, and respond to issues before customers are aware of them. Startups, Fortune 500 companies, and everything in-between rely on us in mission-critical times to make sure their businesses stay up and running. We are not afraid to use the latest and greatest technologies in our production environments. We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager who can help us grow and mature as an Engineering organization, and help teams deliver great experiences directly to our customers.
Event Intelligence (EI) helps our customers cut through the noise, and unleash their innovation and productivity by saving them time and effort needed to work on issues that matter. Event Intelligence blends machine learning and human telemetry, looking at both digital signals and human response behavior to optimize digital operations. The EI Engineering teams partner closely with Product and Data Science to use adaptive learning algorithms to group related incidents, thereby driving faster resolution. EI encompasses product capabilities like Routing and Workflow Automation, Intelligent Triage, Past and Related Incidents, Intelligent Alerts, Alert Grouping Previews and Noise Suppression. Customers love EI because it is a critical piece of their long term strategy that allows them to move more intelligence and automation into PagerDuty and this frees up their time to solve more complex problems and innovate.
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll lead two teams of passionate engineers, where you will have the opportunity to shape and scale the culture as PagerDuty continues its growth. Your teams will own some of the most critical systems and deliver innovative product features through continuous iteration. PagerDuty is what helps our customers’ digital assets stay ON. As a result, we are expected to have the best in class Availability, and throughput for our systems.
At PagerDuty, you’ll find a great set of company values that include: championing our customers, collaborating with your first team (your peers in Product, Engineering, Data Science and User Experience) to enable successful outcomes for the business, having a growth mindset by acknowledging and owning problems and solutions taking ownership and leading in ambiguous spaces, and bringing your own thoughts and ideas with a bias for action.
We are a diverse team and are very inclusive in the way we operate. We are apolitical and work together to do what’s best for our customers and our business. The teams you manage are autonomous full stack teams that are empowered to make their own decisions while partnering with Product, Data Science and User Experience.
Your job is to help formulate the vision and strategy for Event Intelligence (EI) in collaboration with your first team, get buy-in from Engineering and Product Leadership, and execute on that vision. You are expected to always be delivering, build and manage healthy and happy teams, and grow and retain our best talent in Engineering. This is one of our fastest growing products at PagerDuty. EI is what helps us differentiate ourselves from our closest competitors. We want to continue investing in EI and growing our capabilities in Machine Learning to make magic happen for our customers. This position will help you build a great set of skills that will help you navigate your career for the long term. It’s a unique opportunity that blends high scale systems engineering with a deep collaboration with Applied Machine Learning and Data Science.
From a technical standpoint, you already possess a deep understanding of building distributed real time systems in hosted cloud environments like AWS, Azure or Google Cloud. You must have proven experience in scaling applications vertically and horizontally, and planning for capacity. You like to sit in design discussions, and ask the right questions to help the team analyze and improve scalability of data collection services, routing, storage, and retrieval. If you don’t have prior AWS experience, you should quickly build familiarity with AWS technologies and have an opinion on which technologies to utilize for specific technical architectures. You must have a keen eye for improving our systems, and using feedback from your teams, you will provide ongoing requirements to our Database and Platform Engineering teams to enable better outcomes for the company like Developer Productivity, and enhanced Engineering capabilities.
We are interested in hearing how you will manage teams in this remote setting. Not being able to see people face to face during these unprecedented times brings its own set of unique management challenges. How will you foster a sense of camaraderie and belonging and keep people engaged, passionate and delivering against their commitments? As a company we’d like to continue innovating on our processes and management practices to enable a great remote culture.
- Oversee two distributed teams of highly motivated engineers spanning all experience levels, from first-time intern to principal engineer, and managers.
- Collaborate with the Event Intelligence teams on setting the product and technical roadmaps along with plans for getting us there.
- Work with Engineering, Product, Data Science and UX stakeholders to facilitate project delivery.
- Work with other Engineering Managers to help drive cultural changes across the organization.
- Provide regular updates to Directors and Engineering VPs and solicit feedback.
- Recruit and retain the best talent.
- Participating in your team’s on-call rotation, triaging, and addressing production issues as they arise.
Skills and Attributes
- You enable and empower the team to do great work beyond what you could accomplish on your own, not be a micromanager.
- You understand the balance between planning out work and just getting things done, between getting your hands dirty and getting out of the team’s way.
- You have experience helping your teams consistently ship value to customers. You go out of your way to make sure that you articulate that value within, as well as outside of the team.
- You have experience hiring talented senior engineers and supporting them to do impactful work. You have also hired and developed junior engineers to realize their full potential.
- You have excellent ability to communicate in all directions of the org chart and understand the importance of laying out context for the team, instead of prescribing solutions.
- You have 12+ years of experience in Software Engineering, and 5+ years engineering leadership experience, including managing managers or team leads.
- You have a deep understanding of the distributed systems and technologies, software development lifecycle and have a passion for reliable, scalable and maintainable systems.
- You have experience leading technical discussions that can be understood by teams of all levels, and introducing new and innovative changes to tools, patterns, and/or architectures when it’s right for the team or company.
- You have experience managing healthy, happy and high achieving teams.
- You have a deep understanding of agile principles and how to apply them effectively.
- You have have a proven track record of collaboration with peers to get successful outcomes for the company.
- You can still code if needed (though that won’t be the primary function of this role) and have opinions on what good code looks like.
- You have worked on large-scale systems and know the pitfalls that can come with under or over engineering.
- Competitive salaries and company equity
- Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family
- Generous parental leave
- Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to paid holidays and ample sick leave
- Opportunities to get involved in PagerDuty's Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and other diversity initiatives. ERGs are self-organized, employee-run communities focused on advancing a sense of belonging and inclusion for all - members, advocates, and allies.
- Paid employee volunteer time - 20 hours per year
- Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is for people. Meaning, we extend opportunities to a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. Whether you're new to the corporate world, returning to work after a gap in employment, or simply looking to transition or take the next step in your career path, we are excited to connect with you.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email email@example.com and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.
PagerDuty uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
To all recruitment agencies: PagerDuty does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, PagerDuty employees or any other company location. PagerDuty is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We help #developers, #ITOps, #DevOps & #teams across the business provide a perfect digital experience to their customers