Backend Engineer, Scalability (Remote - Anywhere)
The Scalability team is responsible for optimising GitLab.com performance through improving reliability, availability and performance of GitLab individual services and application as a whole.
- Analyse existing, create and maintain new GitLab.com Service Level Objectives.
- Resolve problems contributing to missing GitLab.com SLO targets.
- Find, define and resolve architectural application bottlenecks as observed on GitLab.com.
- Work with other engineering stakeholders on resolving larger architectural bottlenecks and participate as a representative of GitLab.com.
- Provide guidance to other engineering stakeholders on scaling considerations.
Candidate should ideally be:
- Methodical when troubleshooting and solving problems.
- Experienced in working on large scale systems.
- Experienced in application and systems observability.
- Have working knowledge of one or more of the services used to deliver GitLab.com.
Other qualifications include:
- High proficiency in at least one of the following programming languages, in order of preference:
- Knowledge of other OOP languages is a nice to have.
- Proficient in one or more of the following:
- Knowledge of profiling, and performance testing.
- Understanding of basic database principles and optimisation mechanisms.
GitLab Inc. is a company based on the GitLab open-source project. GitLab is a community project to which over 2,200 people worldwide have contributed. We are an active participant in this community, trying to serve its needs and lead by example. We have one vision: everyone can contribute to all digital content, and our mission is to change all creative work from read-only to read-write so that everyone can contribute.
We value results, transparency, sharing, freedom, efficiency, self-learning, frugality, collaboration, directness, kindness, diversity, inclusion and belonging, boring solutions, and quirkiness. If these values match your personality, work ethic, and personal goals, we encourage you to visit our primer to learn more. Open source is our culture, our way of life, our story, and what makes us truly unique.
Top 10 reasons to work for GitLab:
- Work with helpful, kind, motivated, and talented people.
- Work remote so you have no commute and are free to travel and move.
- Have flexible work hours so you are there for other people and free to plan the day how you like.
- Everyone works remote, but you don't feel remote. We don't have a head office, so you're not in a satellite office.
- Work on open source software so you can interact with a large community and can show your work.
- Work on a product you use every day: we drink our own wine.
- Work on a product used by lots of people that care about what you do.
- As a company we contribute more than we take, most of our work is released as the open source GitLab CE.
- Focused on results, not on long hours, so that you can have a life and don't burn out.
- Open internal processes: know what you're getting in to and be assured we're thoughtful and effective.
See our culture page for more!
Work remotely from anywhere in the world. Curious to see what that looks like? Check out our remote manifesto and guides.
Your application has been successfully submitted.