Software Engineer, Cloud Economics
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Software Engineer, Cloud Economics
About the Team
The Cloud Economics Engineering team is composed of Cloud Engineers, Financial Analysts and AWS Subject Matter Experts, working to make Slack more performant, available & cost-efficient each day. We’re driving cost down and ensuring that Slack is performant and available to each and every one of our millions of daily active users. We take on unique scaling problems for a global customer base and write software to provide maximum visibility into our cloud infrastructure. We advise teams within Slack on how to maximize their value from the cloud and ultimately aim to build a culture where all our engineers are cost-conscious and building a business scalable for the long term. We get excited about making Slack cost-efficient whilst ensuring we use the right technology stack.
Slack has a positive, diverse, and supportive culture—we look for people who are curious, inventive, and work to be a little better every single day. In our work together we aim to be smart, humble, hardworking and, above all, collaborative. If this sounds like a good fit for you, why not say hello?
About the Role
What you will be doing
- Supporting software projects of various complexities, where scope is understood
- Contribute towards the development of a new platform to provide our engineering teams visibility into their cloud spend and efficiency
- Development on a home-grown chargeback system to ensure the correct service owners know the cost they place onto other systems
- Where needed, embed into our development teams, to help educate and improve their service performance/efficiency with an aim to reduce cloud costs
- Proactively build great relationships with our service owners
- Educate others and provide ideas/tips on how to reduce our overall platform cost
- Monitor our cloud spend, track and alert on changes over time
- Generate reports for our engineering teams
- Be responsible for saving millions of dollars every year and keeping our cloud costs under control
What you should have
- Curiosity about how clouds work and love to share that knowledge with others
- The ability to analyze and identify efficiency optimizations in cloud applications
- Experience with AWS and some of the services available within it. Ideally, you have hands-on experience deploying applications to the cloud
- Professional experience in cloud engineering, working in a team environment
- You possess strong computer science fundamentals: data structures, algorithms, programming languages, distributed systems, and information retrieval
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
- Experience with a functional or imperative programming language -- e.g., PHP, Python or Go (used without frameworks)
- Experience working with AWS environments
- AWS associate certification(s)
- Prior experience with or knowledge of large scale, high volume systems
- Prior experience reducing cloud costs at scale
- Have utilized tools such as CloudHealth, AWS Cost Explorer or Spotinst
Slack is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Slack is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.Visa sponsorship may not be available in certain remote locations.
Visa sponsorship is not available for candidates living outside the country of this position.
Slack is an Equal Opportunity Employer and participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. Women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Slack will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Slack has transformed business communication. It’s the leading channel-based messaging platform, used by millions to align their teams, unify their systems, and drive their businesses forward. Only Slack offers a secure, enterprise-grade environment that can scale with the largest companies in the world. It is a new layer of the business technology stack where people can work together more effectively, connect all their other software tools and services, and find the information they need to do their best work. Slack is where work happens.
Ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is core to Slack’s values. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a pleasant and supportive place to work.
Come do the best work of your life here at Slack.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We’re on a mission to make working life simpler, more pleasant and more productive — for everyone.