Software Development Engineer, AWS Security - Arlington
Interested in big data? Come and build innovative solutions at exabyte scale that protect our cloud from security threats. No prior security experience necessary.
At Amazon Web Services (AWS), Security is our highest priority. AWS Security is responsible for driving innovative enhancements that raise the bar for how AWS employees interact with resources, systems, and data. At AWS' scale, we must invent new security tools to enable system administrators and developers to build rapidly, while maintaining least privileged access. We are looking for a passionate, innovative, results oriented individual to manage and execute various programs to improve AWS' overall security posture.
Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work. We are builder-operators of our services at AWS and have a modest on-call rotation where you’ll participate once every 1-2 months.
Mentorship & Career Growth
Our teams are dedicated to supporting new team members. Teams have a mix of experience levels, and we’re building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and mentorship. Our senior engineers and managers truly enjoy mentoring junior engineers and engineers from non-traditional backgrounds through one-on-one mentoring and thorough, but kind, code reviews.
We care about your career growth. We assign projects and tasks based on what will help team members develop into a better-rounded engineer and enable them to take on complex tasks in the future.
Inclusive and Diverse Culture
Our teams are intentional about attracting, developing, and retaining amazing talent from diverse backgrounds. Yes, we do get to build cool services, but we also believe a big reason for that is the inclusive and welcoming culture we try to cultivate every day.
We’re looking for new teammates who are enthusiastic, empathetic, curious, motivated, reliable, and able to work effectively with a diverse team of peers. We want someone who will help us amplify the positive & inclusive team culture we’re focused on building.
Here at AWS, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We have ten employee-led affinity groups, reaching 40,000 employees in over 190 chapters globally. We have innovative benefit offerings, and we host annual and ongoing learning experiences, including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences. Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Key job responsibilities
As a Software Development Engineer you will:
- Work with AWS services to support automation to mitigate threats.
- Build solutions on AWS utilizing existing AWS products and services.
- Prototype and productize data access capabilities to enable the securing of a large cloud environment.
- Work with customers within AWS Security and with your team of engineers to develop systems that magnify our ability to deeply understand and rapidly improve AWS security.
- Work with customers, engineers and architects to advance the state of the art of security automation in terms of performance and technical merit.
About the team
We are the big data experts striving for better performance and lower costs. We develop innovative solutions and provide data to internal security teams.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Sciences, Mathematics, or related technical field
- Experience delivering security programs
- Experience with distributed systems architecture and related technologies
- Experience with AWS or other cloud services
- Exposure to cloud computing (AWS, Azure, etc)
- Exposure to big data technologies such as EMR, Hadoop, Glue, Spark, Athena.
- Exposure to data streaming and messaging platforms such as Kafka, Kinesis, SNS, SQS
- Experience processing large amounts of structured and unstructured data, including integrating data from multiple sources.
- Demonstrated delivery of large-scale, initially-ambiguous projects
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Work hard, Have fun, Make History