Senior Staff Software Developer, Open Source
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience
- 8 years of experience in software development, and with data structures/algorithms
- 5 years of experience testing and launching software products, and 3 years of experience with software design and architecture
- Master's degree or PhD in Engineering, Computer Science, or a related technical field
- 5 years of experience building and developing large-scale infrastructure, distributed systems or networks, and/or experience with compute technologies, storage, and/or hardware architecture
- 3 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading project teams and setting technical direction
- 3 years of experience working in a complex, matrixed organization involving cross-functional and/or cross-business projects
- 1 year of experience in open source licensing, copyright, patent, or IP
About the job
Google's software developers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We're looking for software developers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software developer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our software developers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
Open Source Developer Experience is a team dedicated to making the experience of Googlers working in Open Source for their jobs frictionless and satisfying, while staying compliant with Google policies. We will deliver a seamless workflow by piecing together existing solutions when possible, and building new ones when needed.
Google is a software development company at heart. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology's greatest challenges and make an impact on users around the world. At Google, software developers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From Google Ads to Chrome, Android to YouTube, social to local, Google software developers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
- Design, guide, and vet systems designs within the scope of the broader area, and write product or system development code to solve ambiguous problems.
- Review code developed by other engineers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency).
- Contribute to existing documentation or educational content and adapt content based on product/program updates and user feedback.
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues and the impact on hardware, network, or service operations and quality.
- Mentor and train other team members on design techniques and coding standards.
Your application has been successfully submitted.