Product Manager, Anti-Discrimination
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb is a platform built on trust. Our hosts are opening their homes or providing experiences to travelers from around the world. We’re creating new relationships & placing people in vulnerable situations. Therefore trust is the fundamental currency of Airbnb.
The Airbnb Trust team builds trust by creating safety at each moment of the journey. We set the standards & expectations, do our best to keep bad actors out and provide the right tools for good users to thrive without getting caught in the net.
The Anti-Discrimination team is a groundbreaking group of technologists designing and building scalable and robust systems to detect and support the mitigation of inequities across the entire platform. The team is passionate about rooting out discrepancies in the product experience that may be correlated with race or other demographic attributes - the result of explicit or implicit discrimination between individuals (e.g., between hosts and guests), as well as broader, systemic inequities.
About The Role
As the Product Manager for the Anti-Discrimination team, you will be deeply involved in the technical details of expanding on the work we started with Project Lighthouse, in close collaboration with data science, engineering, and operations teams. Your work will help ensure that every product team at the company is empowered with the insights necessary to address inequities within their features and surface areas, head-on -- ultimately enabling us to build a product that fosters true belonging amongst members of the Airbnb community. In creating these tools, we always engage in Privacy By Design—we don’t sacrifice these principles for expediency, and we solicit feedback and guidance from a diverse set of external stakeholders, including those critical of Airbnb.
The work of making our platform one that is more just and equitable is challenging, but critical. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial product manager who is ready and excited to take on this important and unsolved problem. The product manager will also work with key civil rights and privacy advocates to communicate the product strategy and synthesize feedback from these groups. In addition to working with external stakeholders, the product manager will also keep the executive leadership team updated of the team’s progress and goals.
- Rapidly iterate and evolve a suite of data tools that serve to identify critical experience gaps impacting our host and guest communities, while creating privacy-centric, extensible and scalable global solutions, and simultaneously looking around corners for future user needs and issues
- Develop product roadmap and build alignment across product teams, cross-functional partners (FP&A, Marketing, Operations, Customer Experience, Hosting, Guest Experience, etc.), Business Units, Airbnb Platform teams, and Leadership/Executive team
- Implement best in class product development and management practices
- Anticipate bottlenecks, making tradeoffs and balancing the business needs versus technical or operational constraints.
- Work with the Head of Platform Equity Programs to develop the team’s strategy and long-term goals.
- 5+ years product management experience, with a focus on data tools or platform products
- Entrepreneurial drive and demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to reconcile differing viewpoints and create a compelling story about the problem you’re solving
- Ability to embrace ambiguity
- Thought leader and entrepreneur: someone that others look to for knowledge on building products and technologies, and methods that will serve all of the Airbnb community
- Knowledge of privacy principles and research
- Passion for and experience in developing technologies and products that are inclusive in nature
- Ability to influence decisions of business leaders and founders, leading the business to evaluate and invest in new products
- Background or experience working with civil rights groups/policy/diversity and inclusion is a plus
The starting base pay for this role is between $152,000 and $207,500. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Your application has been successfully submitted.