Associate General Counsel, Financial Regulatory (Remote, Americas)
About the role
It takes a whole team of dedicated legal professionals working behind the scenes to help Shopify create a platform that makes commerce better for everyone. Our Legal Team must be able to apply their knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and provide the best possible advice on sometimes unprecedented legal issues, in ways that allow Shopify’s business to stay agile and competitive. Every person on our team is committed to making commerce better for everyone, and it shows.
About the team
Within the Shopify Legal and Government Affairs Team, the Regulatory Affairs Team works closely with internal and external stakeholders to help ensure that Shopify’s platform makes commerce better for everyone. The team is responsible for engaging with regulatory and law enforcement entities worldwide. Just as importantly, the team works internally to develop and deploy strategies to help Shopify’s business achieve its ambitious goals within existing (and future) regulatory frameworks.
We’re looking for an Associate General Counsel, Financial Regulatory. This senior lawyer will represent Shopify before regulatory entities and provide legal counsel to Shopify on financial regulatory issues and related matters. You must have a passion for cutting-edge legal issues at the intersection of technology and financial regulation. You must be a team player with strong legal analytical and communication skills. You should be effective at building relationships and driving toward consensus internally, and also skilled at representing your client before external entities. You must also be adept at using business acumen, creativity, and collegiality (both internally and in dealing with external parties) to explain and address legal risks, while providing strong strategic counsel.
- A J.D. or LL.B., with a license to practice in the United States and/or Canada
- 6-8 years of experience in house, in private practice, and/or in government with a focus on regulatory law
- Significant experience counseling clients on legal risks, ideally regulatory risks
- Experience with financial regulatory matters, including interactions with governmental regulatory agencies, and with analyzing statutory and regulatory requirements (e.g., ECOA, UDAAP, AML, KYC)
- Top-notch oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional business judgment, relationship-building skills, and experience thinking outside the box to identify creative solutions
- A keen interest in creative legal problem solving, including researching novel and ambiguous areas of law
- Experience counseling technology companies on financial regulatory issues
- Experience with competition issues
- Experience with crypto regulatory issues
***Don’t stop reading yet, here’s how to apply:***
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Nitin Shah, Director, Associate General Counsel, Regulatory Affairs, is looking forward to reading your resume and cover letter.
Closing date: June 9, 2022 Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by June 16, 2022.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.