Principal Engineer, Online Store (Remote - US or Canada)
About the role
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their businesses. We’re the world’s fastest-growing commerce platform and we have no plans of slowing down. We're on a mission to make commerce better for everyone and we need your help.
The Online Store is the largest sales channel at Shopify and the primary channel for most of our merchants. It’s at the heart of how merchants and buyers interact with Shopify, where we must continue creating value at scale, meeting modern buyer expectations, and being the best solution in the world for merchants new and experienced alike.
Our Online Store is comprised of three key areas:
Online Store Editor - Focused on empowering anyone to easily build, customize, and maintain their online store
Themes - Theme Store & the creation and maintenance of new Shopify owned themes
Online Store Foundations - Storefront performance and infrastructure
We are hiring a Principal Front-end Engineer to oversee everything to do with the front-end of our online stores. This role will affect our million+ merchant stores directly as well as our internal development and that of our partners. We’ll look to this person as a technical leader and mentor for front-end development, advocating for the best practices, accessibility standards, and performance. They’ll be an evangelist within Shopify & externally in the community. This role will partner closely with our Principal Back-end Engineer - together providing technical leadership on all aspects of the online store channel.
As Principal Front-end Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to use your experience and technical accomplishments to help shape the future direction of the Front-end of the Online Store at Shopify. You’ll become a trusted advisor across the company and be charged with helping to make complex, strategic decisions that impact our product roadmap, as well as Front-end development as a whole.
You’ll thrive on the technical and creative challenges that come with working with established systems and plotting a course of impactful, progressive enhancement towards a final vision. You are keen to share your experience and expertise with those around you, and multiply your impact through thoughtful teaching, influence, and example.
- You’ve seen a lot as a tenured front-end expert - trends have come and gone but the core fundamentals of building UI’s is what makes you tick
- You care deeply about accessibility and enabling people across the globe to interact with the sites you build, no matter what browser and device they’re using
- Experience building/maintaining large scale web properties
- Writes code that exemplifies best practices
- An influencer, proven in a large company and/or in the industry
- Background in open platforms (e.g. Web platform, browsers, CMS software, etc.)
- Experience with front-end development challenges in ecommerce or web-based products
- Set the technical direction for the frontend code of the Online Store platform (storefront)
- Set the technical direction for our themes and theme development environment
- Ensure our development teams understand and follow this direction
- Devise and implement strategies to steer our ecosystem of partners and other 3rd-party developers into following this direction
- Engage with partners and merchants to understand their needs and champion these internally
- Engage with the broader web community to advocate for the needs of our merchant base
This posting will close on October 30th 2020.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Your application has been successfully submitted.