Staff Frontend Accessibility Engineer
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
What is Accessibility at Airbnb?
At Airbnb, we aim to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. Core to this mission is the accessibility of our platform. This means that we should be consciously designing and building our platform to support people with disabilities.
As part of the Accessibility team, you'll have the opportunity to have a huge impact on the Airbnb platform and our users. We work with engineers and designers across the entire company to make designing and building inclusively easier. This includes, but isn’t limited to, creating educational resources (like documentation and training), building out accessibility utilities and features, integrating automated accessibility tooling, and providing best practices on accessibility. We're looking for a staff engineer interested in supporting inclusion on our platform. Previous experience with accessibility is required.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
What is Frontend at Airbnb?
Frontend Engineers (FEs) are an essential part of our team. FEs work closely with world class product managers, designers, and data scientists. We build using industry-standard tooling and technology, such as GraphQL and TypeScript. We build libraries and abstractions to make our lives easier, such as the Design Language System (DLS), our front-end toolkit, which helps ensure our product looks and works great everywhere from a Cinema Display with a fiber connection down to less powerful phones running on spotty networks.
- Lead defining and building tooling and process for accessible product development
- Lead accessibility training and support for engineers
- Integrate and support automated accessibility testing and tooling
- Integrate accessibility best practices for the whole company, including in our Design Language System, by collaborating with engineers and cross functional partners: designers, product and program managers
- Guide accessibility improvement projects spanning multiple teams
- Work with leadership on promoting and solving accessibility at every stage of the project development lifecycle
- Help address accessibility bugs and enable other teams to conduct remediation initiatives
- Participate in code reviews
- 8+ years industry experience
- Experience writing code that meets accessibility standards and best practices such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Knowledge on practical usage of WAI-ARIA
- Knowledge of assistive technologies, such as VoiceOver or JAWS
- Passion for building and helping others build accessible UIs
- Demonstrated knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Demonstrated design and UX sensibilities
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Passionate about healthy team culture and collaboration
Nice to haves
- Experience training and leading workshops
- 2 years of experience in a technical leadership role leading large projects and setting technical direction
The starting base pay for this role is between $190,000 and $245,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Your application has been successfully submitted.