Senior Software Engineer - Infrastructure (Remote - US / Canada)
United States Remote
GitHub is looking for engineers to join the Compute Foundation team within our Data Center Engineering organization. You will focus on the systems and tools that enable our engineers to operate and scale the world's largest code hosting platform. You will help maintain our Kubernetes clusters and automation framework, optimize operating systems for use in our environment, and deploy systems at large scale around the world.
The Data Center Engineering team is highly distributed and you will thrive in an environment of remote work and asynchronous communication. You're expected to have strong written communication skills and be able to develop working relationships with coworkers in locations around the globe.
As an engineer at GitHub you'll always be challenged to solve interesting and novel problems that have real impact on how the world builds software.
- Design and implement automation systems requirements.
- Build performant and efficient packet processing systems for Internet and service traffic.
- Cultivate open source projects developed by GitHub and build things you are proud to share.
- Work closely with networking and facilities teams to design and support our global data center presence.
- Experience automating large, complex distributed systems with an eye toward reliability.
- Proficiency in Golang, Python, and/or Ruby.
- Experience diagnosing and resolving complex multi-system performance problems.
- You take a pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
- Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
- Upstream contributions to relevant open source projects (i.e. Kubernetes, Nomad, Linux kernel).
- Experience with virtualization, bare metal deployment, or network engineering.
Who We Are:
GitHub is the developer company. We make it easier for developers to be developers: to work together, to solve challenging problems, and to create the world’s most important technologies. We foster a collaborative community that can come together—as individuals and in teams—to create the future of software and make a difference in the world.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.
Your application has been successfully submitted.