Legal Operations Manager, Outside Counsel Management
Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 222 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, feature films and mobile games across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any Internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Netflix seeks a passionate legal operations manager to oversee the day-to-day functions that govern our outside counsel management program. You will help innovate how Netflix Legal engages law firms, manages billing rates, identifies and implements cost-saving opportunities, promotes counsel diversity and visualizes all related data. Combined, the successful candidate will allow the department to make better, more data-driven decisions when hiring and managing outside counsel.You will be an active member and contributor to a growing Legal Operations team, supporting other team members on projects when needed. The ideal candidate will be someone who is detail-oriented, exceptional at working and communicating cross-functionally and thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic culture with many challenges and opportunities.
This is an opportunity to be part of a public company with a great consumer brand and to help Netflix shape the future of entertainment.
Job responsibilities are outlined below.
Law Firm Engagement Oversight and Reporting
- Partner with 3rd party vendors to automate the drafting of law firm engagement letters
- Respond to engagement specific questions raised by internal and external (firm) stakeholders
- Align legal billing guidelines with Netflix and industry best practices, and address related education and enforcement
- Maintain our internal counsel resource site and strategize around future enhancements
Counsel Rate and Discount Management
- Manage hourly billing rates in our third-party eBilling tool
- Monitor existing discounts and ensure they are being applied as agreed
- Help identify new opportunities for negotiated discounts and alternative fee arrangements
- Assist in the reporting on firm spend, competitive rate intelligence, and cost savings
Diversity and Inclusion (D&I) Tracking
- Solicit firm diversity data and ensure compliance with related guidelines
- Create and maintain department-wide counsel diversity dashboards
- Research global D&I certifications and affiliations to consider for promotion and partnership
- 7-10 years experience in corporate outside counsel management function or law firm equivalent (pricing, budgeting, project management, etc.)
- Ability to communicate your insights clearly, both in writing and verbally, to a diverse audience, accounting for varying subject matter backgrounds
- Ability to interpret and negotiate legal engagement terms
- Experience in various legal technologies including e-billing, matter management, workflow automation, document management, business intelligence and more is preferred
- Willingness to ramp up on new technologies and learn them in-depth
- Experience in Google (Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.) preferred or Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Understanding of law firm business structures and culture
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with in-house counsel
- Highly analytical and mastery of advanced data functions (pivots, vlooks, formulas, etc.)
Your application has been successfully submitted.
See What's Next.