Senior UX Manager, Multiple Teams (Remote, Canada)
About the role
We’re looking for a senior user experience leader to help us understand and explore our next set of challenges. We need someone capable of building opinions using research insights, data, and experience. Someone who is comfortable defining goals, direction and strategy, but also comfortable getting into the weeds and working hands on with their teams. At Shopify, leaders sketch too. They thrive on change and operate on trust, leveraging the diverse perspectives of the people on their team in everything they do. We’re fascinated by how you think, how you break down problems, and come up with solutions. We look for those who question, who are optimistic but never satisfied, and always seek to do better and make better. We love those who always want to deeply understand why people do things and how to improve.
The ideal candidate is an experienced Senior UX Manager who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with complex, interconnected problems. You’re able to set UX goals, direction and strategy that empowers your team with clarity and purpose. You build trust-based relationships across disciplines and leverage diverse perspectives to deeply understand and improve how your team ships impactful work.
What you'll be working on:
- Establishing clear definitions of quality to enable your team to ship exceptional user experiences on your projects.
- Working as a strategic partner with leadership in Engineering and Product Management to define overall strategy and direction.
- Developing baseline knowledge in all our UX disciplines (Research, Design, Content Strategy, and UX Development) and deep expertise in your product area.
- Developing and shipping with speed and consistency. We have immediate needs to deliver on our product roadmap today, while setting the vision for tomorrow.
- Leading your teams through a fast-moving landscape while also providing growth opportunities.
- Building the right team to solve the complex and technical problems that our merchants face everyday.
- As a leader of leaders, you have built and led teams during your career. Your craft depth has allowed you to develop and mentor managers as well as build credibility with your team while executing broader UX strategies.
- Expert knowledge of the end-to-end iterative product design process, including how to develop and use personas, job stories, journey mapping, content modelling, wireframing and prototyping, user testing, and high fidelity visuals
- Deep experience with driving and applying user-centered design processes across design, content strategy, and research while working with cross-functional teams including development and product management
- A deep empathy for the user and a desire to learn as much as possible about how they use Shopify on every platform
- Excellent communication and storytelling skills; you have the ability to help your team and stakeholders understand the “why” behind your design rationale
- Proven track record of shipping simple solutions to complex problems.
- Ability to set the right direction for the team, help them succeed in their craft as well as with the business impact.
Your application should include the following:
- A link to your portfolio, or some samples of projects you have worked on or led. We are interested in seeing work you have led a team through, wireframes, UX flows, taxonomies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
- Your resume or LinkedIn profile
In the Message to the Hiring Manager field in your application, please include the following:
- Details on your previous management experience, the size and scope of teams you have led, etc.
More information about UX at Shopify:
- Our Inside Shopify UX Podcast
- Our Design System, Polaris
- Our UX Blog
- Information on our digital by design remote working environment.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Lauren is looking forward to reading your application. If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce, send us a few samples of your work: portfolio, wireframes, UX flows, taxonomies, publications, or whatever represents what you do best.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.