Security Awareness Advocate (Remote, US)
About the role
About the team
Shopify receives millions of unique visitors each month and serves billions of requests per day. Our Trust Systems team, part of the broader Security & Trust Team here at Shopify, makes sure we provide a trustworthy commerce platform for our 2+ Million merchants each and every day.
As a Security Awareness Advocate, you will use research and data to develop security awareness programs and initiatives, giving Shopifolk the knowledge and tools to make well-informed security decisions in their day-to-day. You understand that meaningful education and empowerment are more powerful motivators than fear, and constantly approach your work with fresh eyes to create the most engaging material you can. Through your work, our employees will know what’s right because they are educated, not because there’s a “Big Red Warning'' near a given feature.
You will be responsible for:
- Being a security ambassador within Shopify
- Using creativity to expand the reach and deliver the security awareness program
- Partnering with relevant teams to determine their risk profiles and shed light on their work
- Developing and launching communication plans to tell Shopify’s security story in an engaging and digestible format
- Providing innovative, adaptive, and scalable security training plans, tailored to the needs of particular groups
- Continually iterating on what’s been done before to keep Shopifolk engaged
- Empowering Shopifolk to make good security-minded choices through carefully crafted messaging
- Creating strong, trusted relationships with Shopifolk
This role is for you if you:
- Have a deep interest in security. You follow the latest information about newly disclosed vulnerabilities, love helping your friends and family stay safe online, and are incredibly frustrated when your password length is limited to eight characters.
- Can tell a wicked story. You are able to distill complex concepts and motivations into a coherent and relatable story, you can articulate your work in a compelling way.
- Have a passion for alternative teaching methods. Gamification, collaborative workflow, game theory … a prescription isn’t always the best answer.
- Keep communication paramount. You will be asked to define and launch comprehensive communication strategies about security at Shopify.
- Have a systems-thinking approach. You love complex systems and everything that comes with it. Our processes are not random - they are supported by data.
- Have a love of learning. You are always driven to learn something new and try your best to stay on top of new information. We work with new security frameworks - a curious mind is key.
- Demonstrate empathy for your teammates and the people using what you’ve built. You understand how your work impacts those around you, and take great care in communicating the why.
- Have a data-driven mindset. You use data to inform your decisions and track program progress, you don’t shy away from digging into the information available to you.
- Keep a bird’s eye view. You can prioritize the most important project(s) when faced with competing responsibilities.
It would be a bonus if you have:
- Proven track record building educational programming
- Advanced studies in human psychology such as motivation theory, behavioural sciences, and organizational life cycle
- Experience working with highly technical teams
- Experience working with distributed teams across time zones
- Experience with technologies such as Slack, Okta, GSuite, and Github...if this tech is new to you, that’s okay! We know that not everyone will come in fully familiar with these technologies, and we provide support to learn on the job.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations across Americas where Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.