Manager, Fraud Operations (Remote Canada)
About the role
REMOTE - AMERICAS - EMEA - FULL TIME
Within the Shopify Trust Team, the Fraud and Risk Management Team is committed to building trust in Shopify. From detecting high risk patterns of behaviour, to keeping up to date on emerging risk vectors and industry best practices - all with the goal of mitigating losses to both Shopify and merchants - our work is challenging, impactful and constantly evolving. The Fraud and Risk Management team is responsible for overseeing Shopify’s fraud-related policies and procedures in order to identify and offboard bad actors and mitigate loss and reputational damage, all while supporting the growth of legitimate businesses on our platform. As Shopify continues to grow and expand its geographical footprint and develop new product offerings; avenues for fraud and risk constantly evolve and our job is to stay ahead of both existing and emerging trends.
About the role:
We’re looking to add a Fraud Operations Lead to our team. This role is for an experienced leader and builder in the banking fraud space. The Fraud Operations Lead will be responsible for the following:
- Overseeing a team of Fraud Analysts.
- Ensuring that playbooks and processes are accurately and consistently applied.
- Contributing to the improvement of monitoring systems by proactively reviewing the effectiveness of fraud signals, and staying aware of industry trends in the wider fraud and risk space.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with team members, to identify and address new threats and vulnerabilities.
- Identifying trends and strategizing on preventative measures for our financial products.
- Being the subject matter expert in banking fraud prevention strategies and practices.
- Onboarding and training new analysts to the team.
- Developing and maintaining QA processes for the team.
- Coaching and development of team members.
- Providing guidance on escalated issues.
- Advising leadership on sensitive, nuanced and high profile matters.
To be successful on the Fraud and Risk Management team you must:
- Be a self-starter with a data driven mindset who can keep track of emerging industry trends and Shopify’s existing processes.
- Be a quick learner who is able to apply your knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and determine the appropriate course of action in a well-reasoned way.
- Be comfortable with being uncomfortable, and have a collaborative and team-oriented outlook.
- Have the ability to adapt and always be a constant learner (and a sharer of what you have learned!)
- Be a proven leader with the ability to motivate and focus team members in a complex, fast paced and high stakes environment.
You’ll be doing things like:
- Continuously fostering and building an environment where your team can thrive.
- Building an A-team through continuous coaching and development.
- Ensuring analysts are meeting daily and monthly targets and fraud related KPIs.
- Overseeing the day-to-day production of the Fraud Operations team, with ownership of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) and issue resolution.
- Meeting regularly with your peers and your lead to discuss topics specific to fraud and risk management.
- Contributing to the development of fraud & risk detection systems as well as optimizing queues through data analysis and regularly evaluating the effectiveness of the queues.
We’re looking for someone who demonstrates:
- 4+ years of Banking fraud experience, with 2 of those years in a leadership role.
- A passion for fraud detection, investigation and mitigation.
- Knowledge of the fraud and risk landscape in banking and fintech, and commitment to staying on top of emerging trends.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. This means you have the ability to communicate with a wide variety of audiences about complex situations using plain language.
- Proactive approach to solving problems. This means you have a hunger to learn and are genuinely curious about the way things work and will efficiently leverage your colleagues and other internal resources to gain context.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and conceptualization skills.
- Incredible organizational and time management skills. You must be self-directed, able to prioritize well, work efficiently, and demonstrate flexibility as workloads and complexity fluctuate with minimal supervision.
- Keen observation skills and a willingness to pitch in. This means you’re a great team player. If you notice some of your teammates are struggling with an issue, you jump in to help.
- Excellent and proven leadership skills with the ability to set goals and motivate others to drive and achieve company and team aims.
- Extensive experience coaching direct reports and teams to success.
- Empathy and the ability to build trust and rapport with team members in order to challenge and facilitate their growth.
- Familiarity with industry detective & investigative tools, SQL & reporting.
- Proficiency with additional languages.
How to apply
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Please read the following questions and give us your take on a solution by responding in the “Notes to the Hiring Manager” section of the application. We look forward to hearing your thoughts!
- What are the top fraud trends you foresee hitting the banking industry in the next few years? What types of controls could you implement to mitigate these risks?
- What are the top signals in your mind to prevent bad actors from being able to create and utilize a bank account for fraud? How would you use these signals?
- What is one of the most interesting schemes you have seen in your current role? How was it detected?
- Bonus: What are some controls that could be put into place to prevent Money Laundering?
This posting will close on Monday April 18th.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We’re looking forward to reading your application.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.