Engineering Manager - Knowledge Graph Infrastructure
Twitter wants to delight its users with meaningful and relevant content. We believe that content understanding is necessary for this and that it all starts with understanding the world that we are all a part of. We call the manifestation of that world understanding, our Knowledge Graph.
We are an agile team that is passionate about enabling awesome experiences for Twitter users with the results of our work. We build low latency data ingestion pipelines to bring realtime data into Twitter, big data pipelines to gain insights into vast amounts of data, high scale storage systems to house our data, and low latency services to classify content and bring our data to Twitter product services. We have many difficult challenges ahead and need your help to drive visible product impact with our data and services!
You will lead a team of engineers who love what they do and work with them to deliver astonishing amounts of products with higher quality than anyone could do individually. You will deliver high throughput systems that work with vast amounts of data. You will be faced with many challenges that will require you to lead your team through collaborative design where all ideas are heard. Most importantly, you’ll be expected to keep our internal and external customers in mind and build meaningful products focused on them.
- Mentoring: Mentor the professional development of each direct report through personal and performance management. Establish regular 1:1s with direct reports. Craft individual improvement/goal plans with each direct report and ensure that they receive regular, documented feedback.
- Planning / Alignment: Plan and collaborate with other teams Twitter in delivering impactful changes, whilst working together with other Cortex teams for the long term.
- Provide oversight: Work with engineers and researchers to understand how everything fits together and how best to deliver meaningful impact.
- Execution: Make decisions which balance between immediate impact and long-term bets, as well as managing resourcing and prioritisation.
- Relationship management: Help with managing relationship between other teams in Cortex which you’ll partner with to deliver impact.
- Cross functional management: Work closely with other teams from across the company to deliver impactful projects which may involve multiple disciplines. Also work with other managers in the office to build upon the office culture and ensure a healthy workplace environment.
- Recruitment: Help hire new talent - help with sourcing and selling to candidates as well as vetting them for the team. Provide innovative solutions for both attracting and retaining top talent.
Who You Are
- You are a leader and strong people manager looking to serve the team and achieve team goals.
- You are a strong source of engineering talent and are comfortable closing applicants for your team and the business.
- You are a coach who hires, develops and retains good software engineering Talent.
- You have technical competency and understand the “big picture”.
- You have proven execution track record that is customer-centric in prioritisation - looking to deliver projects that serve the company’s needs and understand the impact
- You are a good communicator with clear and concise, active listening and empathy skills.
- You collaborate well with teams with different backgrounds / expertise / functions.
- You bring a strong perspective that motivates engineers to develop simple, pragmatic solutions to complex problems.
- You have the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and are comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution
- Previously managed a team of 5+ engineers.
- Computer science or engineering background strongly preferred.
- Understand the cost of software development/tech debt and long-term maintenance
- Experience driving impact through cross-functional leadership.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical abilities
- You have a get stuff done attitude, have great positive energy, and thrive in a fast paced environment.
- You are passionate about technology and can keep up with the latest.
- Experience with large scale systems and microservices team environments
A few other things we value:
Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
Your application has been successfully submitted.