Senior Software Engineer - Data Platform (Permanently Remote!)
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We believe real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
Who We Are:
As engineers on the Core Metrics team, our mission is to build the fastest, most reliable, and largest-scale data processing technologies in the world - able to cope with ever-increasing volumes of data in real-time - and then apply them to the company’s most critical and fundamental data problems.
As a member of the team, you will be the “source of truth” for Twitter’s most fundamental data - such as Tweet content, engagement data, and user relationships - along with core metrics such as daily and monthly active users. You will surface these datasets in real-time to mission-critical products and business applications throughout the company. You will empower dozens of engineering teams, hundreds of co-workers, and millions of users to dream of new insights and new possibilities.
What You’ll Do:
If this sounds like a team you want to be a part of, fantastic! We are looking for experienced engineers who love writing code, data engineering, understanding our customers, and collaborating with teammates to ship useful software.
Sample projects we’ve built:
- Real-time aggregations of interactions on tweets at millions of events per second scale
- Generic frameworks and services to automate detection and removal of user deleted data from analytic data.
Who You Are:
You take satisfaction in building resilient, performant, and thoroughly tested distributed systems that can power the most business-critical applications. You get stuff done and thrive in a small group environment. You have a strong sense of ownership and a curiosity to understand how things work, even if they take you outside your area of expertise. You welcome feedback and are constantly looking for ways to improve yourself.
On our team we need people who:
- Have 4+ years professional experience
- Have backend development experience with a solid foundation in data pipelines, distributed systems, large-scale data processing
- Have proficiency with Scala, Java, C/C++, or Python
- Show deep understanding in at least one data processing framework including Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Kafka / KafkaStreams, Druid, or Dataflow.
- Enjoy working with our internal customers and having empathy for their problems.
- Embrace a growth mindset and want to improve ourselves, the team, our processes, and the products we work on.
Additionally it would be nice if you had:
- Success in developing in a hybrid-cloud environment
- Experience with Lambda architectures and different ways of implementing them.
- Working knowledge of ETL and a query language
- Experience with on-call responsibilities
A few other things we value:
Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Notice (Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act)
The expected salary range for this role to be performed in Colorado is USD$146,000.00 - USD$204,000.00. Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of job-related factors, which may include education, training, experience, location, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future.
This job is also eligible for participation in Twitter’s Performance Bonus Plan and Equity Incentive Plan subject to the terms of the applicable plans and policies.
Twitter offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, sick time, and parental leave. Twitter's benefits prioritize employee wellness and progressive support to our diverse workforce.
Your application has been successfully submitted.