Technical Program Manager, Open Source
Twitter is what’s happening and what people are talking about right now. For us, life's not about a job, it's about purpose. We feel real change starts with conversation. Here, your voice matters. Come as you are and together we'll do what's right (not what's easy) to serve the public conversation.
What You'll Do:
You will work on multi-functional efforts aimed at making it simple to trust, ship, and grow Open Source at Twitter.
- You'll work with the Open Source team on implementing Twitter's open source strategy that accelerates our business initiatives and provides lasting benefits to our partners.
- You'll help ensure we consume and release open source software via a sophisticated process and standard methodologies that build balanced communities, empower engineers, align with our business goals, protect our intellectual property, and manage our compliance.
- You'll work with engineering teams on their open source initiatives, supporting and advising them on industry best practices.
- You'll help manage the overall health of Twitter's open source projects, developing programs to monitor and respond to issues when they arise.
- You'll help own the day-to-day operations of the open source office including sponsoring open source organizations and events, review new open source launches, triage requests, and help teams as needed.
- You'll directly impact the culture of open source at Twitter.
Who You Are:
- You have an interest in open source, even if you don't yet have a lot of hands-on experience. (If you don't, we'll help you get there!)
- You enjoy creating sustainable systems and communities that continue to exist long after you are gone.
- You understand how software is developed and the various tools, practices, and technical concepts that go into creating high-quality, maintainable software.
- You’re organized, self-starting, and resourceful. You get stuff done.
- You know how & when to ask for help.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You are comfortable within distributed work environments, collaborating across time zones and cultures.
What You Bring:
- Experience working with Open Source (OSS) - Community, Languages, Libraries, Tools or Other.
- Experience building and growing online communities (technical or otherwise)
- Understanding of open source licenses and general open source compliance issues
- Experience with open source version control (git, mercurial) and CI tooling (e.g. GitHub Actions, Travis CI, etc)
- Experience with GitHub and the development workflows and community features it provides
- Bachelor's degree or higher in computer science / engineering, or equivalent work experience
One of the biggest challenges in open source is long-term sustainability. As a result, we are not just looking for quick fixes to the challenges that face Twitter; we're in it for the long haul. So that means building a diverse team that will bring different perspectives and ideas. It means having a healthy team that works hard, but that can also take time to recharge and enjoy life away from work. It means a team that is respectful of each other, of the work we are doing, and of the importance of enabling the public conversation. That's the team we're trying to build. Let us know if you want to join us.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco Applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
A Few Other Things We Value:
Challenge - We solve some of the industry’s hardest problems. Come to be challenged, learn, and thrive as an engineer.
Diversity - Diversity makes us a better organization and team. We value diverse backgrounds, ideas, and experiences.
Work, Life, Balance - We work hard, but we believe with hard work should come balance. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.
Your application has been successfully submitted.