Social Media Manager - Engineering Audience (Remote, US)
About the role
Shopify's Engineering Communications and Marketing team is in search of a creative, and technical Social Media Manager. This role will be responsible for day to day management of Shopify Engineering social media channels, including but not limited to daily content ideation and creation, community management, reporting, and social listening. This person will work closely with the Social Media Lead to contribute to social media strategy, and campaign management.
The focus of this role is strengthening our engagement with the audience of experienced software engineers and engineering leaders across Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube to demonstrate Shopify’s leadership in technical communities. You will create content and engage in social conversations that showcase how Shopify makes meaningful contributions to the field, moves the field forward and why Shopify is the place for engineers to grow, develop, and do the best work of their career.
About you: You have a passion for creating content that speaks to technical audiences. You have proven experience in digesting new information and translating that into meaningful content that engages subject-matter experts — you’re not afraid of reading a little bit of code. You know how to make social approachable and win over collaborators across different disciplines. You love to experiment and try new things, are deeply curious and unafraid of sharing your perspective, and more than anything else: you’re the kind of person who’s excited to roll up their sleeves to ‘get shit done’.
- Concept, create and publish “social-first” content.
- Conduct social listening and proactive response management.
- Drive daily community engagement across social channels.
- Collaborate with cross-company stakeholders to understand communications needs and how to best support campaigns and Shopify initiatives.
- Actively seek new storytelling opportunities, and provide input on new ways to improve engagement and growth across platforms — including niche or emerging social media channels.
- Collaborate with the broader team to identify and champion new opportunities to elevate our external engineering story.
- Partner with the Social Media Lead to develop and implement social media programs.
- Occasional social media support at events.
(Keep scrolling... important ask for your application at the bottom.)
- Experience working on social for a brand with at least 10k followers on a single channel
- Recent years of experience in hybrid social media management / content creation / creative marketing roles.
- Strong writing skills (social media and/or blogs preferred). Able to provide samples of your work.
- Proficient understanding of social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and more) and how audiences interact across them.
- Obsessed with social, you live on social platforms and are constantly aware of breaking trends, memes, and viral content.
- Demonstrated experience in developing social media content from start to finish (high level concepts to publication) both on your own and in partnership with creative teams.
- Proven experience driving content and conversation with communities of subject matter experts.
- Strong visual eye with regard to the creation of graphics, selection of images, for social publishing.
- A penchant for positive audience interactions and the ability to make ‘good decisions quickly’ around real-time social opportunities.
- Experience managing a publishing calendar with multiple stakeholders.
- Self-starter with ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with graphic design and video production.
- Experience with livestream production.
- Basic proficiency with code.
We want to get to know you, and see your success first-hand.
Please include links to social channels you currently manage or have managed with within the past year.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and we’re working towards a future that is digital by design. That location you see above? Consider it merely an example of hundreds of potential locations Shopify is hiring. Learn more here: https://www.shopify.com/careers/work-anywhere
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.