Government Affairs Manager, US States (Remote, Canada)
About the role
It takes a whole team working behind the scenes to help Shopify create a platform that makes commerce better for everyone. Every member of our team must be able to apply their knowledge and experience to novel scenarios and provide the best possible advice on sometimes unprecedented policy issues, in ways that allow Shopify’s business to stay agile and competitive. Every person on our team is committed to making commerce better for everyone, and it truly shows.
About the team
Shopify’s Government Affairs Team, situated within the broader Legal Team, works with policymakers, legislators, civil society groups, academics, and the public-at-large to speak up for small businesses and entrepreneurs, and advocate for a more free, open, and competitive internet.
We’re looking for a curious, passionate, and dedicated D.C. or Eastern States-based public policy professional to serve as our US State Government Affairs Manager. We are looking for someone with experience working on policy issues with Eastern State Legislatures (with a preference for experience with the New York Government. if you’ve covered other State Legislatures in addition, even better!). Our ideal candidate will have prior experience working on policy issues relevant to Shopify, including platform regulation, intellectual property, data protection, competition, ecommerce regulation, and other similar areas.
Your primary responsibility will be to strategically manage our engagement on policy issues at the State level and coordinate, when appropriate, with Shopify’s US Federal Lead. A big part of this job is helping us tell Shopify’s story to policymakers and other tech policy key opinion formers. You will represent us in meetings and discussions with policymakers and legislators.You will also work closely with the rest of the Legal Team to ensure we are anticipating and preparing the business for significant legal and regulatory changes on the horizon. You should also feel comfortable working with engineers, product managers, tax specialists, and a variety of other teams, as part of your efforts to understand how policy proposals may affect our business, and the merchants that use our platform. Additionally, you will serve as our primary contact with our Eastern-specific industry associations and external public affairs firms, and you will help us draft written submissions where appropriate.
As long as you have relevant substantive experience, we don’t care exactly where you got that experience -- you don’t need to be a lawyer, and we are open to candidates who have gained experience in any role anywhere, including in government, in a civil society group, at a company, at an industry group or at a public affairs or law firm. You also need to be an excellent writer and communicator, and a creative thinker.
Success at Shopify requires intellect, humility, and a sense of humor. You need to take the work seriously, but not take yourself too seriously. You also need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, able to work with many different types of personalities, really connect with people and earn their trust, and enjoy working as a team player. You will handle complicated matters with empathy and professionalism, striking a balance between legal and policy requirements while maintaining our amazing workplace.
- Represent Shopify in discussions with policymakers, legislators, and civil society groups in Eastern States where tech policy is actively brewing.
- Monitor State-led legislation and policy initiatives (with a focus on New York and other States with a strong Shopify presence), and evaluate the potential impact on Shopify.
- Prepare written submissions about relevant policy proposals.
- Prepare policy papers and circulate them internally to ensure that our view is informed by stakeholders across the organization.
- Manage relationships with trade associations and external policy firms in Eastern states.
- You are located in or around the Eastern United States or D.C.
- Strong knowledge of tech policy in Eastern States is necessary - knowledge of State policy of any other States would be a plus!
- Understanding of policy areas important to Shopify, including platform regulation, intellectual property, data protection, content moderation, competition, and ecommerce regulation.
- Existing relationships with policymakers, industry groups, and civil society groups in Eastern States.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- The ability to build and maintain strong relationships with a variety of people and teams, both internal and external. You will need to be able to gain the trust of a wide range of folks at Shopify, to speak to each team “in their language,” and to make them feel comfortable enough to reach out when things go wrong. You will also need to build trusted relationships with key external stakeholders. You will need to do all of this in a new “Digital by Design” (read, remote) workplace.
- The ability to talk about highly technical products and services with both technical experts and regulators with no technical background.
- An appreciation for Halloween, Karaoke and Trivia night.
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. Walt, Director, Government Affairs, Federal US, is looking forward to reading your cover letter. In your cover letter, please include a paragraph on a current Eastern State Legislature bill concerning an issue that may affect Shopify and your initial thoughts on what Shopify’s position should be on such an issue.
Closing date: Monday, May 9, 2022 at 11:59PM EDT. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Monday, May 23.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.