Tech Lead Software Engineer – Backend, Mobile, or Frontend Development (Remote, Canada)
About the role
At Shopify, Tech Lead Engineers (also referred to as Staff Engineers) use their expertise and passion to multiply the overall output of their development team. As a technical leader, you’ll help drive your team’s vision to its implementation. You and the team will design and build technically innovative solutions that empower all teams at Shopify to build powerful and resilient distributed cloud software. Merchants that depend on Shopify for a highly scalable, performant, and reliable platform benefit directly from the work you do. You will maintain a high bar for quality and lead and mentor other engineers. And of course, you’ll be hands-on in the code and contribute technically. Here are just some of the stories from the teams who build and scale Shopify.
Intrigued? We’re recruiting Tech Lead Software Engineers to join teams in any one of these disciplines. Based on your experience and interests, let us know which one you identify with most in your application!
Back End Development
Back End Engineers with a passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time. Our teams deploy new code many times a day, and our production scale is massive. We’re talking millions of online stores, and hundreds of millions of requests a day. Thousands of entrepreneurs will see your work within seconds – a difficult but incredibly rewarding responsibility. Shopify is the largest Ruby on Rails application in the world and we're a big part of the Rails community. We’re constantly improving our codebase to make it even better.
Mobile Development (React Native, Android & iOS)
Our Mobile Engineers work along with designers and product managers to build and launch new features for our apps. You’ll work on large-scale apps that are ever-changing, enabling entrepreneurship for hundreds of thousands of entrepreneurs. Our Android engineers use Kotlin and our iOS engineers use Swift. Our teams are increasingly working with React Native so openness to cross-platform mobile development is a plus!
Front End Development
What you’ll do as a Tech Lead Software Engineer at Shopify:
- Learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- Design and build highly available, resilient and scalable platform primitives & API
- Work through problems with your team, roll up your sleeves, form an opinion and advocate for engineering-specific roadmap items
- Collaborate with other Shopify leaders, executives and external partners to provide the best experiences for our merchants
Experience and skills that are important for success in this role:
- A proven track record of success in leading software development teams — strong technical mentorship is a must
- Deep experience building large scale, high throughput distributed systems and scaling web services, particularly those using and analyzing large amounts of data
- High level of fluency with and experience using technologies and frameworks like (but not limited to) some of our most-used languages - Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, Java/JEE, Node.js, PHP, Python, React or React Native, Golang, Kubernetes - or deep experience with any object-oriented language and relevant transferrable technologies
- Experience with relational databases and SQL
- A passion for efficiency and collaboration, with a history of establishing great relationships across UX, Product Management, Product Marketing, Data, and SEO teams distributed across multiple time zones
- A commitment and drive for quality, technical excellence and results
- Curiosity and passion to constantly learn new things; Shopify changes fast, and we need the people who work here to be able to change and learn fast too
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. And remember, we want to know what you’re really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you’d like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
Interested, but not ready to apply?
Join the Shopify Talent Community to learn more about us, while you polish up your resume: https://www.shopify.com/careers/teams/engineering
#LI-KO3 #LI-REMOTE #LI-AH1
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.