Expansion Pack - VP of Engineering, Core (Remote, US)
About the role
We're searching for an Expansion Pack (EP) to support Farhan Thawar, VP of Engineering (Core). An Expansion Pack is similar to an Executive Assistant role in other companies, but we’ve changed up the title because "assistant" is too narrowly focused. EPs work to increase the effectiveness of their Leader by strategically managing their day to day functions, as well as providing support to the Senior Leadership Team. However, this role is more than administrative support; this person will leverage their unique skills and strengths to help scale the impact of their Leader’s team.
As the EP for this Leader, you will work to increase their effectiveness by optimizing the time and efforts of their day-to-day and driving initiatives focused on increasing team cohesion and connectedness across locations/time zones. Shopify moves at an extremely fast pace and this person will have to maintain, organize and juggle priorities in an ever-changing remote environment. The job will be challenging, fast paced and incredibly rewarding. This is more than administrative support; this person will leverage their unique skills and strengths to help scale the impact of their Leaders team. As an EP, you’ll be required to have a finger on the pulse of the leadership team and gain a solid understanding of the business - this role has a huge learning opportunity!
- Managing competing priorities and stakeholders management.
- Being well versed in calendar management and shifting priorities.
- Comfortable pushing back when necessary, with the goal in mind of optimizing your leader’s time.
- Operating closely with your Leader while keeping Shopify’s best interest in mind.
- Proactively solving your Leader’s operational inefficiencies, recommend solutions, and synthesizing context and information to filter them.
- Tracking priorities and proactively following up with stakeholders to help get things done.
- Integrating yourself into the business to gain a more fulsome understanding of each teams’ current projects and needs.
- Staying up to date with Leader’s responsibilities, which could include: following up on to-do items/reminders, sharing updates, and informing them of critical discussions and priorities.
- Coordinating or managing projects on your Leader’s behalf, where possible.
- Helping to manage stakeholder and team relationships.
- Establishing team rituals to help us be more intentional about how we come together in a digital world to elevate the digital experience and sense of community.
- Someone who has integrity and can be trusted to handle sensitive material and information with discretion, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Agile and multidisciplinary; no two days look the same.
- Passionate about people operations, establishing team rituals, and building a sense of community in our digital by design environment.
- Excited to learn about the business group that your Leader supports and their ways of working.
- Detail Oriented and self-identify as hyper-organized.
- Exceptional with written and oral communication skills.
- Confident in your decision making and comfortable initiating impactful projects.
- Comfortable with all forms of technology in order to thrive in a Digital by Design environment.
- Willing to continuously challenge yourself to learn and grow.
- Prepared to work under pressure, tight timelines, and in high stakes situations.
Closing date: Monday, May 16th, 2022 @ 12 am EST.
If you are excited about this opportunity, along with your application please complete these challenge questions:
- Do you have significant experience with calendar management? Yes or No
- Do you have team coordination, project management, or event planning experience? Yes or No
- Have you ever supported an executive? Yes or No
*Please note: Only those who complete the challenge question will be considered and only successful candidates will be contacted.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2020 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
*NOTE: Some of the roles on the Employee Experience team require the employees to be on-site. Please confirm with your recruiter.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.