Director of Security and Health & Safety (Remote, Canada)
About the role
The Employee Experience team connects Shopify employees (known as Shopifolk) to our mission, to their work, and to each other by providing a wide variety of programs, projects, and services. These include, but are not limited to: Bursting (gathering IRL for multi-day touchpoints), Ports (physical spaces to burst in), the Digital Experience including home setups, Broadcast and Technical Infrastructure, Physical Security, Employee Travel, Health and Safety, and Events.
At Shopify, we care deeply about our people and this requires strong Security, Health and Safety programs. As the Director of Security, Health and Safety, you will lead the development, execution and on-going improvements of a 360-degree, comprehensive program to enable the business and ensure the security and safety of the company’s workforce and assets around the globe. The work you will be doing can be challenging. The ideal candidate isn’t a bystander. You are curious and engaged, willing to jump in to solve problems and make data-driven decisions even when things feel very ambiguous.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead, support, and develop the Security, Health and Safety teams
- Reinvent the “standard” Security, Health and Safety program into one that is people-centric and tech-forward, and considers our new way of working (Digital by Design) as well as the ongoing pandemic landscape
- Develop risk management-based Security, Health and Safety policies and practices that are measurable and value-added
- Develop employee education and awareness program on Security, Health and Safety policies
- Coordinate with high-level government officials, law enforcement, contract and internal resources
- Manage the company’s travel risk & executive protection program along with securing small to large scale events
- Oversee the development of the Security Operation Center, Threat management & Protective Intelligence programs
- Lead and support the development of the overall Security, health and Safety governance and maturity model
- Source and partner with health and safety consultants globally to ensure Shopify is compliant with all health and safety regulations across all entities
- Establish team rituals and build a sense of community to increase team engagement
- Provide visibility into projects the team is working on, timelines, and risks
- The role is expected to fill the typical duties of a corporate director of physical security and Health & Safety, balancing industry expertise with an ability and desire to innovate and disrupt where appropriate
- You are highly strategic and action-oriented and you know how to balance the two.
- Extensive public or private sector experience building, managing, and scaling an international Corporate Security department at a senior level.
- Ability to exercise sound operational judgment, and to be flexible to shifting priorities and challenges
- Ability to frequently travel internationally and domestically as needed
- Great interpersonal skills, with noteworthy success building relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Ability to be innovation while protecting a digital first, decentralized workforce
- Provide technical leadership to other teams involved in Security, Health and Safety and lead them through problems using your expertise and knowledge.
- Experience at managing and prioritizing many large projects and programs in a rapidly changing environment with limited direction. Be comfortable with ambiguity.
It'd be great if you also had:
- CPP or other relevant security certification
- OH&S or equivalent
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We want to know all the nitty-gritty details about your experience building a global Security, Health and Safety team. This experience was likely a challenging one, so tell us about your key learnings and what you would do differently as the Director of Security, Health and Safety.
If this sounds like your dream job, we’d love to see you apply! As part of your application, please include your resume, the answer to the challenge question and a short cover letter (addressed to Sid) to let us know why you are the best candidate for the role.
Closing date: Tuesday, May 3th at 11:59 PM EST. Successful candidates can expect to hear back by Tuesday, May 17th at 5:00 PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
*NOTE: Some of the roles on the Employee Experience team require the employees to be on-site. Please confirm with your recruiter.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.