Director of Real Estate (Remote, US)
About the role
The Employee Experience team connects Shopify employees (known as Shopifolk) to our mission, to their work, and to each other by providing a wide variety of programs, projects, and services. These include, but are not limited to: Bursting (gathering IRL for multi-day touchpoints), Ports (physical spaces to burst in), the Digital Experience including home setups, Broadcast and Technical Infrastructure, Physical Security, Employee Travel, Health and Safety, and Events.
In this role, you will be a leader in the leasing, design, and construction of Shopify spaces. You’ll have the opportunity to continuously redefine how we think of physical spaces at Shopify. We need a self-starter, with a passion for management, business development and an ownership mentality. Ideally, you bring a combination of lease management, construction, design, and space planning experience to the table in a rapidly scaling company. Traditional offices are not our cup of tea, you will need to be ready to lead a new way of approaching company-operated spaces. Being able to thrive in environments that allow you to think critically, act quickly, and make executive decisions to advance the team and the business is critical to this role.
Responsibilities will be to:
- Lead, support, and develop the Real Estate team including Leasing, Design, and Construction.
- Work with the Director of Workspace Services and the Employee Experience leadership team on key initiatives, both as an individual contributor (e.g. setting department strategy) and as a leader (e.g. wrangling different players to align on a common narrative and hitting key deadlines).
- Keep the Workspace Services leadership team and other key stakeholders informed on various projects and initiatives.
- Partner with the Director of Workspace Services to deliver on the strategy for the team touchpoints such as building team event venues, warehouses, retail, and other spaces as the business requires.
- Establish team rituals and build a sense of community to increase team engagement.
- Partner with Finance, Legal, Shopify Fulfillment Network (SFN), and other key stakeholders across Shopify.
- Provide visibility into team projects, timelines, and risks.
Here’s what we are looking for:
- You understand how to run great projects and have the ability to sense what is right vs what is broken. You can roll up your sleeves and get shit done, including taking on occasional projects.
- A proven track record growing and scaling a global, cross-functional team.
- You are effective at balancing strategic thinking and long-term vision, with high attention to practicality and team bandwidth.
- You’ve built empathy and high-trust relationships across teams. You are key to team culture.
- Experience at managing and prioritizing many large projects and programs in a rapidly changing environment with limited direction.
- Great interpersonal skills, with noteworthy success building relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Proven ability and desire to coach and develop key team members.
- Ability to frequently travel internationally and domestically as needed.
It'd be great if you also had:
- Experience working with rapid growth companies.
- Project Management skills and PMI certification.
- Technical leadership in design and construction.
We want to know all the nitty-gritty details about your experience building a global real estate development team. This experience was likely a challenging one, so tell us about your key learnings and what you would do differently as the Director of Real Estate.
If this sounds like your dream job, we’d love to see you apply! As part of your application, please include your resume, the answer to the challenge question and a short cover letter (addressed to Sid) to let us know why you are the best candidate for the role.
Closing date: Sunday, May 15 at 11:59PM EST. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us by Friday, May 27 at 5 PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
*NOTE: Some of the roles on the Employee Experience team require the employees to be on-site. Please confirm with your recruiter.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.