Senior Data Scientist - SHOP (Remote, Canada)
About the role
We're looking for a Senior Data Scientist to join our team as we turn Shop into one of the most beloved products and brands in the world. We want shoppers to be able to develop meaningful connections with the brands they love, and we believe that Shop is the answer to helping foster those relationships with the powerhouse of Shopify merchants we love and support.
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our Data Scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools. We are looking for talented data scientists to help us better understand our merchants and buyers so we can help them on their journey.
- Proactively identify and champion projects that solve complex problems across multiple domains
- Partner closely with product, engineering and other business leaders to influence product and program decisions with data
- Apply specialized skills and fundamental data science methods (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed) to inform improvements to our business
- Design and implement end-to-end data pipelines: work closely with stakeholders to build instrumentation and define dimensional models, tables or schemas that support business processes
- Build actionable KPIs, production-quality dashboards, informative deep dives, and scalable data products
- Influence leadership to drive more data-informed decisions
- Define and advance best practices within data science and product teams
You will need to have:
- 4-6 years of commercial experience as a Data Scientist solving high impact business problems
- Extensive experience with Python and software engineering fundamentals
- Experience with applied statistics and quantitative modelling (e.g. regression, survival analysis, segmentation, experimentation, and machine learning when needed)
- Demonstrated ability to translate analytical insights into clear recommendations and effectively communicate them to technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Curiosity about the problem domain and an analytical approach
- Strong sense of ownership and growth mindset
It would be nice if you have:
- Deep understanding of advanced SQL techniques
- Expertise with statistical techniques and their applications in business
- Masterful data storytelling and strategic thinking
- Deep understanding of dimensional modelling and scaling ETL pipelines
- Experience launching productionized machine learning models at scale
- Extensive domain experience in e-commerce, marketing or SaaS
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. We want to know what you're really interested in building and why you want to build it at Shop, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd like in the answers on the next page. 👍 📖
As there are multiple positions, this posting will remain live until all positions have been filled. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of application.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.