Sr. Experience & Culture Specialist (Remote, Canada)
About the role
As a Sr. Experience & Culture Specialist you’ll support our Early Talent teams in creating exceptional participant experiences for connecting in real life (IRL). We’re looking for someone with a deep background in large scale event management, who has owned experiences from conception to execution and is excited to innovate without permission. To be successful in this role you will need to be an excellent communicator, hyper organized, an experienced project manager who cares deeply about helping people better connect with their teams, leaders and their work, especially in a Digital by Default world.
Shopify’s Early Talent team attracts, hires, and develops a diverse community of emerging talent by designing and delivering innovative work-integrated learning programs to accelerate participants' long-term career impact. You will work closely with our Early Talent teams, as well as Digital Experience, Culture, AV, IT, Livestream, and other internal stakeholders. You’ll be expected to own projects, manage multiple stakeholders, and make increasingly complex decisions that will have long-term impact. You’ll quickly become a craft leader within the community building space by contributing to our best practices and coming up with new initiatives that will have a sustained impact on our team, our participants, and Shopify as a whole.
Please note, while you’ll spend most of your time working remotely, this role will require some travel to Shopify’s port cities within North America.
- Coordinating and executing all on and off site Early Talent participant experiences
- Ensuring all Early Talent participant experiences progress seamlessly by following established procedures, collaborating with key stakeholders, and ensuring accuracy on action items and/or timelines
- Understanding the Shopify Early Talent org, and partnering with company-wide stakeholders to facilitate opportunities for diverse teams of students, new grads, and career switchers to make meaningful IRL connections
- Continually improving experiences by integrating obtained feedback and personal judgment into action plans
- Sourcing, securing and collaborating with 3rd party vendors
- Serving as a liaison and onsite contact for Shopifolk, as well as, external vendors
- Building and maintaining strong relationships with a variety of stakeholders across Shopify: Security, Facilities, Culinary, Procurement, Internal Solutions, Culture and more
- Coordinating Early Talent event budgets, processing expense reports and developing/managing POs for IRL events and when appropriate, virtual events
- Working with our events production and AV team on logistics / livestream / Q&A for events
- Capturing and leaning into lessons learned to identify best practices to systematize and optimize planning processes for IRL events and rituals
- 4+ years of professional experience planning IRL events for 100+ participants
- Proven experience working on different types of IRL events that range in purpose, size and complexity
- Stellar organizational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Strong communication and writing skills to articulate vision and concepts
- Ability to ideate and think outside the box even when targets and details are sometimes ambiguous
- High level of discretion, confidentiality and professionalism
- Ability to work with many different stakeholders and business partners
- Ability to identify opportunities to collaborate, partner and align on priorities, learnings and missions across different areas of Shopify
- Ability to be multidisciplinary; no two days look the same and you’ll need to be comfortable with ambiguity
- Ability to pivot and adapt to change
- Can easily source, negotiate and contract third party vendors & service providers
- Comfort in juggling multiple priorities with time sensitive deadlines
- Comfort in demonstrating initiative and being a proactive problem-solver
- Creativity, resourcefulness, and enthusiasm
- We’re digital by default: an excellent understanding of and comfort with technology and remote livestream requirements
Nice To Have
- Experience in managing multiple events at once
- Managing events of all sizes from small intimate group to large scale events IRL and virtually
- Administrative support
- Culture & team building, bonus points if its been within the higher education and/or early talent space
If you’re a high care person who loves the challenge of creating impactful experiences for our remote Early Talent teams - let’s talk! Please address your “Message To The Hiring Manager” to Joy.
This posting will close on May 13th, 2022. Successful candidates can expect to hear back from us within 2 weeks of that date.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.