Frontend Developer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote Canada)
About the role
If you are applying from outside the Shopify careers page, please apply through our careers page (https://internships.shopify.com/) to ensure you are completing all application components.
As an intern at Shopify, you will be fully integrated into your team. In addition, mentorship will be available as you join 7000+ people who are serious about personal growth and learning.
We value high trust and flexibility (it’s always been a part of our culture) and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people who are hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences, watch our Intern Diaries video, and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify. We were selected as one of WayUp’s Top 100 Intern Employers!
Our Frontend Developers work closely with the software engineering team, Designers, and Product Managers to not only make incredible merchant-facing products but also developer-facing tools. You’ll gain a ton of perspective as you connect with different people that work on related parts of Shopify. We want to take complex concepts and make them approachable for all entrepreneurs. We want to help the rest of our R&D organization build great UI, ensure code quality, and create an amazing user experience. Want to learn more about a day in the life of a Frontend Developer at Shopify? Check out this blog.
As a Frontend Intern, you’ll be working on things like
- Collaborating with other disciplines to help develop Frontend solutions for merchant problems
- Developing React components, managing data with GraphQL, and using libraries like Redux and Apollo
- Building reusable and scalable components and documenting in our UX style guides
- Writing and maintaining unit and integration tests
- Using Ruby on Rails to add and modify controllers, models, views, and integrating front-end code into a Rails application
Shopify internships are 3-month, 4-month, or 8-month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates, and those in the early stage of their engineering/development careers.
The posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 at 11:59PM EST. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Experience developing Frontend web applications, either in a professional setting or through personal side project
- Previous experience with one or more modern web stacks (transpilers, linters, build and CI tools, etc.)
- Constant learner
- Passion for solving problems with code
- Strong commitment to quality
See mandatory details for application below.
In your application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your programming knowledge, submit the mandatory Shopify Frontend Developer Intern Challenge and attach it to the field titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Please ensure that the challenge is complete before you submit your application, as recruiters will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. Challenge submission is mandatory in order to be considered.
3. We're always looking to see passion and engagement in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a technical interview with two (2) Shopify Frontend Developers, for 60 minutes each. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Application screening will be on a rolling basis, with Life Stories happening throughout May, technical interviews throughout June and July, and final hiring decisions made by or before late July.
The posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 at 11:59PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.