Content Design Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote Canada)
About the role
If you are applying from outside the Shopify careers page, please apply through our careers page (https://internships.shopify.com/) to ensure you are completing all application components.
As an intern at Shopify, you will be fully integrated into your team. In addition, mentorship will be available as you join 7000+ people who are serious about personal growth and learning.
We value high trust and flexibility (it’s always been a part of our culture) and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences, watch our Intern Diaries video, and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify. We were also selected as one of WayUp’s Top 100 Intern Employers!
We're looking for UX-focused Content Design Interns to help plan and create interface content for Shopify products. We’re a team of 30 content strategists and our products are used by over 1.7 million merchants every day. Our merchants rely on Shopify to provide them with the tools they need to run their business. Content Designers work closely with UX researchers and Designers to create products that make commerce better for everyone.
The UX team starts by identifying the right problems to solve for the highest impact, then performs research, prototype solutions, and ships features (sometimes all in the same week!). This isn't a content marketing or social media role. You'll work closely with the content design team to learn about and push this discipline forward, while working with a project team that includes UXers, developers, and engineers, to implement solutions that directly affect our merchants and prospective merchants.
Being an intern at Shopify means you get to be impactful, and build for the long term. You'll get to work alongside full-time content strategists on projects that become real features in our software and other digital properties. You can read about being a Content design intern at Shopify through these blog posts written by some of our past interns:
You can also browse this collection of content strategy Medium articles by Shopifolk.
The kind of work you’ll do:
- UX writing: Help write clear, concise, usable content for our product interfaces, websites, and communications. Polaris will help you get started.
- UX design: Collaborate with designers to brainstorm, plan, and build new features, and improve what we have today.
- Information architecture: Help plan navigation systems, taxonomy and nomenclature, and information architecture across Shopify products, websites, and communications.
- Research: Do both qualitative and quantitative research to help inform your content decisions.
Shopify internships are 3-month, 4-month, or 8-month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates, and those in the early stage of their design careers.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 at 11:59PM EST. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
The kind of person we’re looking for:
- Loves words, but understands that content strategy is much more than just copy
- Works with developers to understand technical constraints
- Asks for feedback on your work early and often
- Works on things outside your comfort zone
- Thinks critically about personal growth goals, strengths, and weaknesses.
The types of background a content strategist might have:
- Literature and humanities
- User Experience (UX) design
- Graphic design
- Industrial design
- Web design and development
Mandatory details for application below.
In your application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your knowledge, please submit the mandatory Shopify Content Design Intern Exercise, save your exercise to a public google drive, and attach it to the field titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Challenge submission is mandatory in order to be considered.
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 60 minute technical interview with two (2) Shopify Content Designers. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Application screening will be on a rolling basis, with Life Stories happening throughout May, technical interviews throughout June and July, and final hiring decisions made by or before late July.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th, 2022 at 11:59PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.