Data Engineer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote US)
About the role
If you are applying from outside the Shopify careers page, please apply through our careers page (https://internships.shopify.com/) to ensure you are completing all application components.
As an intern at Shopify, you will be fully integrated into your team. In addition, mentorship will be available as you join 7000+ people who are serious about personal growth and learning.
We value high trust and flexibility (it’s always been a part of our culture) and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences, watch our Intern Diaries video, and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify. We were also selected as one of WayUp’s Top 100 Intern Employers!
Our Data Platform Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for over a million merchants. We’re hiring high-impact interns across our teams:
- The Engine group organizes all merchant and Shopify data into our data lake in highly-optimized formats for fast query processing, and maintaining the security and the quality of our datasets.
- The Analytics group builds products that leverage the Engine primitives to deliver simple and useful products that power scalable transformation of data at Shopify in batch, streaming, or for machine learning. This group is focused on making it really simple for our users to answer three questions: What happened in the past? What is happening now? And, what will happen in the future?
- The Data Experiences group builds end-user experiences for experimentation, data discovery, and business intelligence reporting.
- The Reliability group operates the data platform efficiently in a consistent and reliable manner. They build tools for other teams at Data Platform to leverage to encourage consistency and they champion reliability across the platform.
We use a variety of big data and cloud technologies. If you’re interested in learning about and working with one or more of the following, then the Data Platform Engineering group might be a good fit for you:
- Internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
Shopify internships are 3-month, 4-month, or 8-month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates, and those in the early stage of their engineering/development careers.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th 2022 at 11:59PM EST. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
While our teams value specialized skills, they’ve also got a lot in common. We’re looking for a:
- High-energy self-starter with experience and passion for data and big data scale processing. You enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Solid software engineer, interested in building and maintaining systems at scale.
Mandatory details for application below.
In your application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your programming knowledge, please submit the mandatory Shopify Data Engineer Intern Challenge and attach it to the field titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Candidates that only submit their general GitHub link without a challenge will not be considered. Please ensure that the challenge is complete before you submit your application, as recruiters will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
3. We're always looking to see where passion and engagement shows itself in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a 90 minute technical interview with two (2) Shopify Data Engineers. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Application screening will be on a rolling basis, with Life Stories happening throughout May and June, technical interviews throughout June and July, and final hiring decisions made by or before late July.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th 2022 at 11:59PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.