Production Engineer Intern - Fall 2022 (Remote US)
About the role
If you are applying from outside the Shopify careers page, please apply through our careers page (https://internships.shopify.com/) to ensure you are completing all application components.
As an intern at Shopify, you will be fully integrated into your team. In addition, mentorship will be available as you join 7000+ people who are serious about personal growth and learning.
We value high trust and flexibility (it’s always been a part of our culture) and if you’re expecting to be told exactly what to do, Shopify may not be the place for you. We don’t claim to have all the answers, and that’s why we look for independent thinkers, collaborators, and people who are hungry to grow alongside their team. Find out more about our past interns experiences, watch our Intern Diaries video, and learn more about how we approach mentorship at Shopify. We were selected as one of WayUp’s Top 100 Intern Employers!
TLDR: If you’re interested in solving Shopify's infrastructure challenges with code, the Production Engineering team is what you’re looking for!
Production Engineering encompasses the disciplines of site reliability engineering, infrastructure engineering, and developer productivity to ensure Shopify's infrastructure is able to scale massively, while delivering resilience and performance. At the same time, we make sure Shopify's entire engineering team has the tools they need to be more impactful here than anywhere else. As a member of one of our Production Engineering teams, you could be helping to build large distributed systems at scale, automating development processes, or creating internal development tools for a large, distributed developer team.
Here are some of the things you could work on as part of the Production Engineering team:
- Build on top of one of the largest Kubernetes deployments in Google Cloud (we are operating a fleet of over 50+ clusters)
- Build tooling that delights Shopify developers and allows them to make an impact quickly
- Maintain Shopify’s Heroku-style self-service PaaS for our developers to consolidate over 400 production services
- Help build our own Database as a Service layers, which include features such as transparent load balancing proxies and automatic failovers, using the current best-of-breed technologies in the area
- Help run our caching infrastructure and advise Shopify developers on effective use of the caching layers
- Make scale simpler to understand by building the service mesh layer in between Shopify’s infrastructure and the application level
- Create our next-generation continuous-integration and continuous-delivery systems
- Build and support infrastructure and tooling to protect our platform from bots and DDoS attacks
Shopify internships are 3-month, 4-month, or 8-month paid terms, and are open to students, co-ops, recent graduates, and those in the early stage of their engineering/development careers.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th 2022 at 11:59PM EST. Applications will be reviewed and interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline.
- Awesome programming skills. We usually work with Ruby and Go, but any languages work
- An interest in working anywhere in the stack, from right beside the OS and up
- An excitement for automation and simplicity
- An interest in infrastructure as code and infrastructure automation
Mandatory details for application below.
In your application:
1. Include your resume.
2. To showcase your skills and to help us get a better understanding of your programming knowledge, submit the mandatory Shopify Production Engineer Intern Challenge and attach it to the field titled "Shopify Technical Challenge Submission (link)". Candidates that only submit their general Github link without a challenge will not be considered. Please ensure that the challenge is complete before you submit your application, as recruiters will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis. Challenge submission is mandatory in order to be considered.
3. We're always looking to see passion and engagement in all aspects of your life. Please answer the questions outlined in the application to tell us more about yourself!
- If you were to open a Shopify store, what would you sell and why (or tell us about your store if you have one!) (200 word limit)
- Any last thoughts? (ie. proud accomplishments, cool ideas, a joke, etc.) (200 word limit)
The Hiring Process:
1. Candidates that move beyond the initial application stage will be invited to a “Life Story” interview with a Recruiter on the Intern Program team.
2. After the Life Story, successful candidates will be invited to a technical interview with two (2) Shopify Production Engineers, for 60 minutes each. You will be informed in advance of the interview of what you need to bring.
3. After the technical interview, successful candidates are placed on teams based on their interests, skills and experience - each placement is done individually and with significant consideration.
Application screening will be on a rolling basis, with Life Stories happening throughout May, technical interviews throughout June and July, and final hiring decisions made by or before late July.
This posting will close on Wednesday, May 18th 2022 at 11:59PM EST.
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms. We’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your experience is this close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
How we hire
At Shopify, we put a lot of care and time into who we hire. We believe that in order to build the best products, we need to build high impact teams. Our recruitment process centres around what we call the Life Story interview, a conversational-style interview where we get to learn more about you.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The SaaSy entrepreneurship company.