Software Engineer, DevOps
At PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL), we believe that every person has the right to participate fully in the global economy. Our mission is to democratize financial services to ensure that everyone, regardless of background or economic standing, has access to affordable, convenient, and secure products and services to take control of their financial lives.
About Us Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the intimidating barriers around financial transactions to make them intuitive, friendly, and even fun. And it worked: people love sending money with Venmo, and we’re growing by leaps and bounds! But we’re only just getting started. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place where people use money. That means connecting people to their money in the most intuitive and fun way possible, then connecting people with each other. Users already love Venmo, but we know there are lots of things we haven’t thought of to make the experience of using Venmo even more delightful and valuable. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together! Engineering at Venmo At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world. Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our users’ needs and wants. We work with a product team that is data-driven and human-centered in its design principles. We teach and learn from one another and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
Our team is part of the Platform org and we are working on providing a Delightful Developer Experience for everyone who contributes to Venmo. The systems we build and own touch every aspect of engineer’s everyday work and allows us build and improve development process: full Continuous Delivery, smart and secure pipelines, self-serviced secret management systems, better development environments, microservices scaffolding, testing frameworks and many other big and small projects.
The quality of the internal systems we build is crucial for the Company and we put it on a pedestal. Our infrastructure itself needs to be delivered automatically, fully tested, and scanned for vulnerabilities with synthetic tests. In addition we are thorough and engage in actionable observability with well-defined SLAs, processes and runbooks.
As a Staff Engineer you will simultaneously lead one or two projects, owning them end-to-end. You will work closely with the rest of Platform and Infrastructure org, as well as with the main stakeholders on the development side. This individual will be a hands-on contributor that teaches by example and mentors other engineers and product owners on how to improve their development, using our systems, by driving best practices. We have a lot of independence in our decisions, but we are kept accountable for the results.
Our technical stack: AWS, EKS, Docker, GitHub Enterprise, Terraform, GitHub Actions, Jenkins, DataDog, Bash and Python.
What You’ll Do
- Lead projects end-to-end: internal teams rarely have dedicated project managers - you will wear this hat too. You will define the design, identify stakeholders, navigate risks, obstacles and changes, coordinate the work of your colleagues, implement, advertise and overall be the guarantor of the project delivery on time and on quality.
- Strive to help fellow engineers to develop and deliver their code faster and in a secure way.
- Coach/mentor engineers on design principles and best practices.
- Recognize, validate and evangelize emerging technologies and architectures that align with business objectives.
- Lead by doing and meaningfully contributing to engineering teams’ production operations improvements.
- Develop tools and automation to manage infrastructure and application configuration via code.
- Improve the operations, reliability, and stability of our systems
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelors and/or master's in computer science or related field of study
- 6+ years' experience in software development or a related field
- 2+ years' experience operating distributed applications 24x7x365, as part of DevOps or SRE team
- Hands-on experience with designing and implementing infrastructure to support global-scale services
- Deep hands-on experience with IaaS and PaaS solutions from AWS (or similar cloud provider):
- Infrastructure as code (Terraform, AWS CLI, AWS CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with IAM is a plus
- Hands-on programming and scripting (Python, Java, Bash)
- Hands-on experience with containers & container orchestration: Docker, Kubernetes
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
At PayPal, we’re committed to building an equitable and inclusive global economy. And we can’t do this without our most important asset—you. That’s why we offer benefits to help you thrive in every stage of life. We champion your financial, physical, and mental health by offering valuable benefits and resources to help you care for the whole you.
We have great benefits including a flexible work environment, employee shares options, health and life insurance and more. To learn more about our benefits please visit https://www.paypalbenefits.com
Who We Are:
Click Here to learn more about our culture and community.
PayPal has remained at the forefront of the digital payment revolution for more than 20 years. By leveraging technology to make financial services and commerce more convenient, affordable, and secure, the PayPal platform is empowering more than 400 million consumers and merchants in more than 200 markets to join and thrive in the global economy. For more information, visit paypal.com.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of PayPal’s commitment to employees’ health and safety, we have established in-office Covid-19 protocols and requirements, based on expert guidance. Depending on location, this might include a Covid-19 vaccination requirement for any employee whose role requires them to work onsite. Employees may request reasonable accommodation based on a medical condition or religious belief that prevents them from being vaccinated.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Spend, send, and receive money the way you want, simply and securely, with PayPal.