Principal Corporate Counsel
Fostering digital safety for customers, Microsoft’s services, and the overall online ecosystem is one of today’s most pressing issues for the tech sector. Microsoft’s Digital Safety Office, within the Corporate, External and Legal Affairs Division, seeks to:
- Shape global policy and emerging legal frameworks related to digital safety by engaging across industry, government, and civil society
- Mitigate digital risk to users by enabling Microsoft's compliance with legal obligations and voluntary commitments to remove or otherwise manage illegal and harmful online content
- Integrate safety-by-design into Microsoft products and services by working closely with engineering and business groups to drive real change
We are seeking an outstanding Principal Corporate Counsel to join our Digital Safety team. You will play a key role in how we define, enforce, and communicate our stance on user-generated content across our products and services. This is a unique opportunity to join a dynamic team on critical issues of company-wide and international importance.
Legal Advice and Counsel
- Act as a primary legal contact for certain regulations impacting illegal and harmful content worldwide, interpreting regulatory application to unique products and services and providing legal advice and support for development of new engineering and operational processes internally
- Serve as an important contributor to global regulatory developments through understanding and communicating product differentiation scenarios to colleagues advocating Microsoft’s regulatory policies.
- Issue-spot and liaise with subject matter experts and outside counsel to anticipate and address multi-disciplinary issues impacting digital safety, including data privacy, cybersecurity, consumer protection, human rights, lawful access, and responsible AI among others.
- Support legal, business, engineering, litigation, and advocacy functions on a broad range of issues impacting digital safety within online services.
- Engages with legal and other business colleagues to identify and share best practices
- Provides continuous feedback and contributes to the improvement of project operational efficiencies; provides recommendations to improve efficiencies within work group and for the delivery of legal services to clients
- Models compliance and maintains confidentiality, attorney-client privilege, privacy, and the security of data
- Collaborates effectively within work group and across legal, government affairs and business functions
- Organizes and simplifies issues and ideas in written and verbal communication
- Juris Doctorate Degree or Equivalent International Degree or completion of a Legal Apprenticeship
- An active license to practice law in a jurisdiction and capable of meeting admission requirements in relevant jurisdiction
- 5+ years’ experience as a practicing attorney or equivalent practice of law
- 2+ years’ experience as in-house counsel supporting consumer technology products and services, with demonstrated experience in one or more of the following areas: product counseling, licensing, privacy, trust and safety, regulatory interpretation
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of current events, political trends, and technology policy issues
- Experience developing and instituting cross-functional processes and leading cross-functional teams
- Bias for action, with the ability to think strategically, design for clarity, and advocate for positions in the face of complex and ambiguous situations
- Ability to network and collaborate with colleagues across disciplines and time zones
- Ability to work independently, meet demanding deadlines, prioritize and flex to changing demands
- Outstanding analytical skills
This role is based in Redmond, WA and will require 0-25% travel.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We're on a mission to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more.