Sr. Data Scientist, Pricing Optimization
Leverage Data Science to optimize Pricing for Amazon Devices.
We are looking for a scientist experienced in applied statistics, econometrics, and/or machine learning working on business problems to advance critical pricing decisions in the Amazon Devices org. This role will help execute a long-term vision of science-driven pricing and by natural extension, demand estimation. Output will be included in scaled systems to automate existing processes and to maximize business and customer objectives. The role is on a cross-functional science team reporting up through a single threaded owner Product organization where the models are being built from scratch.
Key job responsibilities
Optimizing pricing has multiple challenges you will help navigate including but not limited to building optimization algorithms that control for a wide variety of input variables that impact demand and pricing, experimentation to quantify the impact of various promotional levers, optimizing for multiple cost functions depending on the business strategy for a given product, calculating cross-price elasticities of substitute products, working with partner Science teams and the models they own, working with engineers to integrate this all with internal systems and tools, and working backwards from end Users managing the sales and profitability of the Devices they sell.
The space becomes more complex with changes to the macroeconomic environment (e.g. Covid19), new product launches, new marketplace launches, and improvements to existing devices through software improvements.
About the team
Amazon Devices designs and builds Amazon first-party consumer electronics products to delight and engage customers. Amazon Devices represents a highly complex space with 100+ products across several product categories (Kindle, Echo, Astro, Ring, etc.), for sale both online and in offline retailers in several regions.
In practice, in addition to the primary job location on this job rec we are open to considering locations near major Amazon hubs including but not limited to Arlington, VA (HQ2 near DC); Austin, TX; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Los Angeles, CA; Seattle/Bellevue, WA; San Diego, CA; Toronto, Canada; and Vancouver, Canada.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, Economics, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Supply Chain or related quantitative field
- 5+ years of work experience in a scientist or top down analytics role
- Experience with scripting and programming languages e.g. Python, SQL, R, etc. particularly around data manipulation
- Experience with statistical and machine learning models e.g. multinomial logistic regression, deep learning, etc.
- Comfort dealing with ambiguity
- Works backwards from the customer to solve their problems
- Excellent communication
- Masters, MBA, or PhD degree in Economics, Business, Finance, Engineering, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related quantitiative field
- 8+ years of work experience in a scientist or top down analytics role
- 3+ years experience with scripting and programming languages e.g. Python, SQL, R, etc. particularly around data manipulation
- 3+ years experience with statistical and machine learning models e.g. multinomial logistic regression, deep learning, etc.
- Experience working with Data Scientists, Economists, Software Developers, and/or Product Managers
- Experience in Consumer facing Hardware or Services
- Experience in Pricing
- Experience in building Products
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Work hard, Have fun, Make History